BookmarkSubscribe
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
samaroo
Community Trekker

Debugging the NonlinLib.jsl script

Hi all,

I am attempting to create a formula in the model library per the instructions here:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/create-a-formula-using-the-model-library.shtml#100093

I wasn't getting my own custom formula to save, so I attempted using the formula they give as an example in the link; the NonlinLib.jsl script also wouldn't save with the insertion mentioned in the example. An attempt to debug this and my other formula has given me various Error Messages, which makes me think there may be differences in syntax in the script from what they give in the above example. For example, the NonlinLib.jsl script uses 

Locale:get("S_Not_available_xxx") instead of the example's use of "String Not Available".

Any insights would be helpful! I am new to JMP and debuggins scripts, so a "JMP for Dummies" answer would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User

Re: Debugging the NonlinLib.jsl script

It would be useful if you shared your script/formula, and which version of JMP you are using.

First on Windows, I cannot save to the JMP directories unless I use Run as Administrator. Below is a screenshot of my edits and a screenshot that it shows up in the library. I was Using JMP 14.  Note the red arrow on this screenshot: since you adding to the list, you need to add a comma after the preceding definition.

Use the GUI to test your function. Create a data table add and X, Y and Z column.  Enter some typical X values.

I typically add the formula (copy the JSL within the Expr() see below.  ), then paste that into column Z's formula editor.

Then I usually add a formula to Y, using different b1 and k values and add a random normal error, apply teh formula then delete it.  You can do all of this before trying to add your formula to the the nonlinLib. Now you can test the NonLin platform by using Z for the Prediction column and y for Y.

The formula editor can help debug any errors. 

Good Luck. 

nonlinLib.png

image.png

2 REPLIES 2
gzmorgan0
Super User

It would be useful if you shared your script/formula, and which version of JMP you are using.

First on Windows, I cannot save to the JMP directories unless I use Run as Administrator. Below is a screenshot of my edits and a screenshot that it shows up in the library. I was Using JMP 14.  Note the red arrow on this screenshot: since you adding to the list, you need to add a comma after the preceding definition.

Use the GUI to test your function. Create a data table add and X, Y and Z column.  Enter some typical X values.

I typically add the formula (copy the JSL within the Expr() see below.  ), then paste that into column Z's formula editor.

Then I usually add a formula to Y, using different b1 and k values and add a random normal error, apply teh formula then delete it.  You can do all of this before trying to add your formula to the the nonlinLib. Now you can test the NonLin platform by using Z for the Prediction column and y for Y.

The formula editor can help debug any errors. 

Good Luck. 

nonlinLib.png

image.png

samaroo
Community Trekker

Thank you gzmorgan0! This was very helpful.

To clarify for others: I am using JMP Pro 14 on a Mac. In order to save my new non-linear formula into the NonlinLib.jsl script, I needed to create a separate text file with the same name and same contents with my added formula on my Desktop. I then moved this script to the JMP Pro 14 package contents where the original NonlinLib.jsl file was located. I needed to Authenticate the move of a file into my JMP package contents. This was the only way I found to easily save my new script (since pressing the Save button on the script when I was running JMP wouldn't let me save it).

0 Kudos