cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Yngeinstn
Level IV

Data Filter Display Options

It appears that certain data types allow for only specific display options in a data filter. I can't find any information regarding any sort of restrictions. For instance if I used a data type below no matter how i script it it won't let me use lets say Blocks Display. Is there a cheat sheet that tells me how the data needs to be structured  (assigned) so i can format it in a way that I can use the Display Options of my choice. I do know if i use Numeric Continuous I have access to only a slide bar.

Thank You

Data Type: << Data Type( Numeric ) << Modeling Type( Nominal );

Scriptable Display Box: {???, ???, ???}

Data Type: << Data Type( Chracter);

Scriptable Display Box: {???, ???, ???}

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Data Filter Display Options

Your request is confusing. The Data Filter object automatically handles different data types correctly.

Are you asking a more general question about the types of display box objects that work with different data types? I am not aware of any "cheat sheet" but the Help > Scripting Index set to Display Boxes is very useful. If you think about data types (numeric versus character), the choices for display boxes are usually pretty obvious. For example, Number Col Box versus String Col Box.

You can also examine a built-in platform by right-clicking on the disclosure button to the left of any outline box and select Edit > Show Tree Structure. You will see a new browser with all the display boxes identified.

Yngeinstn
Level IV

Thank you..
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @Yngeinstn,

Blocks Displays *do* work for numeric but categorically modeled variables, but, JMP tries to keep the display usable so when there are many, many levels of the variables it is resistant to switching to blocks. The workaround I've found in these cases is to toggle to something like the checkbox, and then switch to the blocks. For whatever reason that coaxes JMP into displaying the Blocks view. The example below demonstrates this: 

dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp");

dt:weight << Modeling Type( Nominal );

dataFilter = dt << Data Filter( Add Filter( columns( :weight ) ) );

Wait(1);

dataFilter << Display( :weight, Blocks Display );
//won't work, JMP decides there are too many levels

Wait(2);

dataFilter << Display( :weight, Checkbox Display );
dataFilter << Display( :weight, Blocks Display );

I hope this helps!

@julian 

Yngeinstn
Level IV

@julian. It is interesting that you brought that up because I didn't understand why i was able to change the display box to a format i prefer (Blocks Display) until your reply. I appreciate the help.

Yngeinstn
Level IV

I resolved this but just placing an Include( "$MY_SCRIPTS/B.jsl" ); in place of calling out the expression.. Thanks