Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
rshehadah
Level I

DOE output

Ran my DOE analysis and got an output shown below:

QTY{LowMCC&6D - High MCC}

Not sure how to decode that to understand which level I should use for the qty factor.

Thank you,

Rami

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: DOE output

not exactly. In the Stepwise platform, categorical variables (nominal and ordinal) are coded in a hierarchical fashion. This differs from coding in other least squares fitting platforms. In hierarchical coding, the levels of the categorical variable are successively split into groups of levels that most separate the means of the response. The splitting process achieves the goal of representing a k-level categorical variable by k - 1 terms.Here you find more about that: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/models-with-nominal-and-ordinal-effects.shtml

Pressing Next button on the above page you came to this page

As said before there is the option to use stepwise with whole effects to keep an easy interpretability. More you find in the rules section: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14-1/stepwise-regression-control-panel.shtml#240750

The advantage of having the hierarchical way in stepwise is that you migth get certain group-level effects earlier into the model than using the whole effect. The price to pay is the interpretation capability for people who are not used to it.

Hope this helps .

Martin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
louv
Staff (Retired)

Rami,

I believe more information is required to be able to help. 

The Profiler should visually help you answer your question of what level you should set your QTY.

Highlighted

QTY{LowMCC&6D - High MCC} means that this is the effect between two groups: LowMCC and 6D on the one side - and Hig MCC on the other. As Lou pointed out in the profiler of the model you will see the effect in a change from one grouping to the other.Usually the scale will be from -1 to 1.If there is no other effect QTY{LowMCC - 6D} there might not be a significant effect between those two. But this is speculation on my side without having more information on the whole setup.

If you used stepwise you could use whole effects to have a better interpretation of the effects in the model and profiler. 

Highlighted
rshehadah
Level I

Thank you for the response. Why would it be between two groups, when qty has three levels? Does this mean Low MCC and 6D behave the same?

Looking at the profiler, it states -1 to maximize output, however I dont know which level correspondes to -1.

Highlighted

not exactly. In the Stepwise platform, categorical variables (nominal and ordinal) are coded in a hierarchical fashion. This differs from coding in other least squares fitting platforms. In hierarchical coding, the levels of the categorical variable are successively split into groups of levels that most separate the means of the response. The splitting process achieves the goal of representing a k-level categorical variable by k - 1 terms.Here you find more about that: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/models-with-nominal-and-ordinal-effects.shtml

Pressing Next button on the above page you came to this page

As said before there is the option to use stepwise with whole effects to keep an easy interpretability. More you find in the rules section: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14-1/stepwise-regression-control-panel.shtml#240750

The advantage of having the hierarchical way in stepwise is that you migth get certain group-level effects earlier into the model than using the whole effect. The price to pay is the interpretation capability for people who are not used to it.

Hope this helps .

Martin

View solution in original post

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.