cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mvanderaa1
Level IV

Custom DOE does not use the whole range of discrete numeric values

I am trying to create a custom DOE with 1 continuous factor and 2 discrete numeric factors (3 levels).

One of the discrete numeric factors has values 1, 3 and 5. The generated table only uses the values 3 and 5 however. This does not seem to make sense to me from a experiment design POV. Even when changing it to a 4 level factors (0,1,3,5) only 3 and 5 are used. See JMP file for details.

Is this choice logical, or is this some kind of bug?

Perhaps of interest; I am trying to use a Disallowed combinations script.

mvanderaa1_0-1681374976340.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MRB3855
Super User

Re: Custom DOE does not use the whole range of discrete numeric values

Is it the Disallowed Combinations?  If Nr_Foci=1, then (Pulse_energy*Nr_Foci) is always <60. Therefore, Nr_Foci is not an option.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MRB3855
Super User

Is it the Disallowed Combinations?  If Nr_Foci=1, then (Pulse_energy*Nr_Foci) is always <60. Therefore, Nr_Foci is not an option.

mvanderaa1
Level IV

wow ok you are completely right. I wrote a filter for allowed combinations instead of disallowed ones.

Phil_Kay
Staff

This is quite common. I guess it is not very intuitive to define the disallowed combinations. It feels more natural to define allowed combinations, I suppose. You might want to add something to the JMP Wish List about this.

mvanderaa1
Level IV

I'm replying to my own post because I might have found already where this behavior comes from. I was having trouble getting the disallowed combinations to work by specifying the restriction as a product of the factors (i.e. X1*X2<60).

Apparently this script does not work (some runs do not fulfill this condition). After separating this condition to a combination of more simple restrictions the issue with  was resolved.

Nr_Foci == 3 & Pulse_energy >= 20 | Nr_Foci == 5 & Pulse_energy >= 12

So in a way my issue is solved, but of course in other cases it's not as easy to dissect such a restriction into multiple restrictions. Kindly advice what to do with this issue.

Kindly advice what to do with this