Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
JLE
JLE
Level I

Correlation of Different Data Types

How could I correlate delta CT values and biomass in grams or seed count in arithmetric numbers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Correlation of Different Data Types

The data is in an Excel workbook. Do you use JMP?

I used multiple regression to assess the relationship between shoot dry weight, root dry weight, seed weight, Myc, 4End, and Bs with the responses Agp shoot CT and Agp root CT separately. I included quadratic terms for the quantitative factors because my initial analysis indicated a non-linearity. I did not include any terms for potential interaction effects.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.39.01 AM.png

The Agp Shoot CT shows the strongest effects. The factor Myc is probably not significant. The Profiler is the easiest way to interpret the model.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.40.44 AM.png

There is only a weak relationship for the Agp Root CT. There appears to be twice as much variation in this response compared to the first response. The additional variation obscures any effects, if there any. Does it make sense that the response would exhibit a minimum near the middle shoot dry weight?

My observations are:

• This data set is small so there is low power for detecting active effects.
  • The experiment varied 6 factors over 10 runs, so many effects are confounded.
  • Either the Myc, 4End, and Bs factor levels were recorded incorrectly or this experiment was not designed using statistical principles. There are unnecessary correlations among the factors that reduce the efficiency of the data for estimation.
Learn it once, use it forever!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Can you show even a few observations (rows) of data? Hard to picture your problem.

Highlighted
JLE
JLE
Level I

Few rows of data attached.
Highlighted

You reply contains no example in any form.

Also, please explain the nature of the variables, delta CT values and biomass in grams or seed count, and the intent of your analysis of correlation.

Highlighted
JLE
JLE
Level I

I attached an excel spreadsheet that had my data in columns. The CT value is an a.n. or unit received from qPCR results that is used to measure the gene expression in a sample of plant tissue. For example the higher the CT value the more copies of the gene and the higher the expression. What I was asked is there any correlation between the gene expression of the plant tissue and the biomass of the plant at the given treatments. So does Ox+Myc+4End+Bs biomass of the shoot, root, seed wt. and seed count correlate with Agp CT value of the gene expressed by Ox+Myc+4End+Bs and so forth. Someone suggested the R squared values is what I would look at but that does not make sense to me.
Highlighted

I still do not see any attachment to any reply in this discussion thread.

Highlighted
JLE
JLE
Level I

Ok, lets try this again:

I attached an excel spreadsheet that had my data in columns. The CT value is an a.n. or unit received from qPCR results that is used to measure the gene expression in a sample of plant tissue. For example the higher the CT value the more copies of the gene and the higher the expression. What I was asked is there any correlation between the gene expression of the plant tissue and the biomass of the plant at the given treatments. So does Ox+Myc+4End+Bs biomass of the shoot, root, seed wt. and seed count correlate with Agp CT value of the gene expressed by Ox+Myc+4End+Bs and so forth. Someone suggested the R squared values is what I would look at but that does not make sense to me.

Highlighted

The data is in an Excel workbook. Do you use JMP?

I used multiple regression to assess the relationship between shoot dry weight, root dry weight, seed weight, Myc, 4End, and Bs with the responses Agp shoot CT and Agp root CT separately. I included quadratic terms for the quantitative factors because my initial analysis indicated a non-linearity. I did not include any terms for potential interaction effects.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.39.01 AM.png

The Agp Shoot CT shows the strongest effects. The factor Myc is probably not significant. The Profiler is the easiest way to interpret the model.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 10.40.44 AM.png

There is only a weak relationship for the Agp Root CT. There appears to be twice as much variation in this response compared to the first response. The additional variation obscures any effects, if there any. Does it make sense that the response would exhibit a minimum near the middle shoot dry weight?

My observations are:

• This data set is small so there is low power for detecting active effects.
  • The experiment varied 6 factors over 10 runs, so many effects are confounded.
  • Either the Myc, 4End, and Bs factor levels were recorded incorrectly or this experiment was not designed using statistical principles. There are unnecessary correlations among the factors that reduce the efficiency of the data for estimation.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
JLE
JLE
Level I

Yes, I do use JMP.

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.