cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.

Copying the legend box from one graph to the other

I wanted to overlay a line graph over a box plot so I used the 'copy frame contents' function to copy the frame contents of a line graph and place it over a box plot. Is there a way to also copy the legend box of the line graph to the new destination?

Thank you in advance

7 REPLIES 7
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Copying the legend box from one graph to the other

Most content in JMP can be copied or moved by using the selection tool 7288_Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 8.22.57 AM.png. To copy the legend from one platform to another, select the selection tool from the tools menu or from the toolbar and then click on the legend in the first platform. With the entire legend highlighted drag the legend to the other platform and drop where you want it to appear.

Alternatively, you might consider using Graph >> Graph Builder which can create multi-visual plots. In this case, you could create a box plot and then add the line chart on top without any of the copy-pasting. Once you set up the first graph in graph builder you can drag a second visualization from the toolbar. Here's a quick example video showing this:

I hope this helps!

Julian

Sorry for being unclear, I am plotting different sets of data on the box plot and the line graph and then copying the line graph data onto the box plot graph (which was made on graph builder) for comparison. I couldn't actually find the icon you pasted above. in terms of the second option, this would not work for me as I am plotting different data.

julian

My apologies! I should have asked for more clarification before assuming I knew what you were asking about  

First, the selection tool is available both from the tools menu or from the toolbar that should be on the top of each window. If you're using JMP on Windows the toolbar might be set to auto-hide, but you can click the alt key, or hover over the top of a JMP window to reveal the toolbar (you can disable autohiding of the tool bar in Preferences > Windows Specific > Autohide Toolbar). Here is a PDF with more complete instructions on using the JMP tools: http://www.jmp.com/academic/pdf/learning/01_jmp_tools.pdf

(From the JMP learning library at jmp.com/learn)

In graph builder you can plot different Y variables simultaneously, or even different X variables simultaneously, but I'm not sure if you have all your data in the same data table or in different data tables. If it's the former you can double plot by using the drop zones at the top and bottom of the Y axis, or the right and left of the X axis. Here's a quick recording of what that looks like.

Does that work for your situation?  If you can post a sample of the data and an example of the plot you want to make I would be happy to try some different things with your actual data.

Julian

Sorry, I seem to not be explaining this properly. Below is the graph I have achieved from two different data tables containing different data sets:

7294_overlay.png

I have done this through scripting. As you can see, the legend for the box plots is present but the legend for the line graph is missing as it is not copied when using the 'copy frame contents'. Am i being more clear?

Thanks for your help so far

julian

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I definitely see what you're after and I've been trying to figure out a way to make it work. I haven't found a way yet but I don't like to let things go so when I find an answer I'll be sure to post it.

Julian

julian

Posted in your other thread -- your idea of storing the image brought about a number of ideas! I hope something in there helps.

Julian

Thank you, I will take a look