Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
caseylott
Level III

Converting an application built into C++ to JSL?

Hi there, 

As per usual, I'm asking a question here that extends way beyond my personal skill set in JMP in order to understand what is possible and how difficult or time consuming a project might become. I'll preface this by saying that I am an ecologist working on a systematic literature review and I am exploring different options for how to summarize/visualize our results. I've been using JMP for years, but my JSL skills are remedial. I'm getting ready to change this and I'm curious to know if this project might be pushing myself too far to fast. Here's the challenge...

I have access to a stand-alone desktop program that was originally written in C++ that already does a lot of what I'd like to do. I'd really love to re-engineer this program in JSL, display it as an interactive JMP dashboard application on the web, and then continue to update the app with new data (same structure, different study area) over the span of a year, as we work on our review. The C++ program currently provides a bunch of data analysis/visualization functions using a standard set of tables and queries for four different regions. We would construct the same tables and queries for new locations as the data comes in. So, I'd like to re-engineer the C++ program in JMP to perform these same tasks for the existing 4 regions (where tables are already fleshed out with data), and then add data tables that use the same queries for 10-15 additional regions over time. The bulk of the work will be figuring out how to do everything once and then just dealing with small differences in data sets for each region.

At this point, I am just trying to get a very basic understanding of whether or not this is possible. If it is, and it's not a super high level of difficulty, I could share some more details of the kind of functions the original C++ program executes. Again, I'm pretty far out of my depths here, so please respond in as non-technical terms as possible for now. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Re: Converting an application built into C++ to JSL?

If all of the routines and function used are standard C++ functions, and it does not bring in specialized libraries of functions, you probably have a pretty good chance of being able to convert the code. The gotcha is, it sounds like a project for an experienced C++/JSL person. Are you the person who authored the C++ code? My opinion is that this is not a good choice for your first JSL project.
Jim

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Re: Converting an application built into C++ to JSL?

If all of the routines and function used are standard C++ functions, and it does not bring in specialized libraries of functions, you probably have a pretty good chance of being able to convert the code. The gotcha is, it sounds like a project for an experienced C++/JSL person. Are you the person who authored the C++ code? My opinion is that this is not a good choice for your first JSL project.
Jim

View solution in original post

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.