cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ateran
Level I

Control New Window Location with Multiple Monitors

When I use JMP with multiple monitors, it tends to open pop-ups/new windows on displays other than the one I am using, oftentimes moving aside other content that I am referencing.  Is there a way to control the location of new windows - for example, when I click "column info", a new window will appear and often it is not in the same display where the data table is located....I cannot find any settings in preferences to control this!  I am assuming this is a problem many people have, so I am hoping there is any easy solution.   I am using JMP 16.1.0 on MacOS, btw.  Any advice?  Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
ateran
Level I

Re: Control New Window Location with Multiple Monitors

May have solved my own problem here.....seems like the pop-ups will open on the "primary display", which can be adjusted in Settings-->Display

hogi
Level XI

Nice idea - IS there a way to tell a 

new window();

on which screen it should be opened?

jthi
Super User

If I remember correctly there is no command for that. Also I think windows should "always" open on the primary screen (so controlling the window location on primary screen is more important). You can calculate the location and then use that to move the window (to do this properly you would probably need knowledge from operating system: screen sizes, screen resolution, scaling, screen count... which might be possible with operating system APIs. Then you need to know the window size after it has been rendered before it being rendered).

If I remember correctly, JMP tries to open windows in same location there were closed last time (not sure where I saw that comment) which is usually a good thing. And some platforms seem to be tied to the window which they are opened from.

JSL option to return mouse location would be quite helpful for some use-cases though this will still require calculations based on the window size

-Jarmo