Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
sbiedrzycki
Level II

Contour GetGraphicItemByName, GetGraphicItemByType exceptions in all cases - C# automation

I'm trying to automate the capture of JMP graph images through C#.  From what I found through the documentation, the correct way to do this appears to be by getting a handle of the graph with GetGraphicItemByName or GetGraphicItemByType and then SaveGraphicItem.

I found some guidance from this previous post on the subject:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/GetGraphicItemByName-Requires-the-name-where-are-the-names/...

Specifically, this reply on proper use of it (the documentation is really lacking on this otherwise)

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/GetGraphicItemByName-Requires-the-name-where-are-the-names/...

However... it doesn't work for anything I have tried.  Everything throws the same unhelpful error which appears to be a native level exception in JMP:

The server threw an exception. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010105 (RPC_E_SERVERFAULT))

I've tried with both varieties of ByType and ByName using several different objects within the tree.  I feel like I must be missing something but I don't know what it could be as the error doesn't give me the slightest clue what is wrong.

JMP.Contour contour = Doc.CreateContourPlot();
            contour.LaunchAddX(X1);
            contour.LaunchAddX(X2);
            contour.LaunchAddY(Y);
            contour.FillAreas(true);
            contour.ShowContours(true);
            contour.Launch();

int handle = -1;
            string errors = string.Empty;

for (int n = 0; n < 11; n++)
            {
                string name = "outline box";

switch (n)
                {
                    case 1: name = "outlinebox"; break;
                    case 2: name = "Outline Box"; break;
                    case 3: name = "Outline box"; break;
                    case 4: name = "outline box"; break;
                    case 5: name = "framebox"; break;
                    case 6: name = "FrameBox"; break;
                    case 7: name = "Frame Box"; break;
                    case 8: name = "frame box"; break;
                    case 9: name = "Frame box"; break;
                    case 10: name = "Framebox"; break;
                }

try
                {
                    handle = contour.GetGraphicItemByType(name, 1);
                    //handle = contour.GetGraphicItemByName(name);
                    Console.WriteLine("Success with n = " + n);
                    break;
                }
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                    errors += e.Message + Environment.NewLine;
                }
            }
            if (handle == -1) throw new Exception("No handle found, errors: " + Environment.NewLine + errors);

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
sbiedrzycki
Level II

Re: Contour GetGraphicItemByName, GetGraphicItemByType exceptions in all cases - C# automation

I resolved the issue.  Turns out the error was elsewhere in my code.  I'm unsure why it threw the error that it did though.  The table I provided it didn't have the columns that I expected it to due to another bug in my code.  I would have expected that JMP should have caught such a simple error and thrown a more relevant exception which is why I assumed an issue with the function itself. 

If anyone else comes across this with a similar issue, be sure to check all other aspect of your input as you can't rely on JMP to report back a meaningful exception...

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.