cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SimonFuchs
Level III

Confounded data identification

Dear JMP Professionals,

I have a question regarding confounded data for RSM DoE. If I have a 4 factor optimization DoE with RSM, how can I identify, which factor effects are confounded with other effects. I know about the confounding matrix, buth How do I identify it when I have my final dataset collected an I analyze the data.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Best 

Simon

2 REPLIES 2
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Confounded data identification

Confounding is not typically examined in analysis of data because no response data is needed to evaluate confounding. Confounding is determined in the design selection phase and construction phase. Without knowing the specific design you picked, and if you had incorporated other randomization restrictions such as blocking, and the design's resolution it's problematic determining effect confounding. Lastly, typically confounding only arises if there is some fractionation or other unusual design altering that isn't a full factorial pathway going on within the overall design. For example, a 2**(4-1) fractional factorial portion of a central composite design will have confounding present. All of these issues can be explored in the Evaluate Design platform.

Perhaps if you share the specific design, and you can anonymize the factor names if need be, we can help?

Re: Confounded data identification

I doubt that a design for RSM exhibits any confounding. There might be correlation among the estimates, in fact, that result is very likely. i assume that you experiment is in a JMP data table. With the table open, select DOE > Design Diagnostics > Evaluate Design. This action will get you back to the information about the design including the correlations.