cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
gustavjung
Level III

Confidence intervals in prediction profiler (interpretation)

Hi

Could you help me please? I am still learning DOE.

How can I interpret confidence intervals in the prediction profiler?
So there are significant effects and interactions. However when "discount" is 0 and "direct_comm" is 1 the difference is not significant (picture below)?
Image1.png

So how may I interpret another case when CI of "discount" are significant but CI of "direct_comm" are not?

Image2.png

The remaining:

Image4.pngImage3.png

Big Thanks!

Learning DOE
1 REPLY 1

Re: Confidence intervals in prediction profiler (interpretation)

There are two kinds of interpretation involved in your question: interpretation of the tests of the parameter estimates and the interpretation of the model predictions.

The three terms in the model are significant. You should not delete any of them or you will bias the model.

The predictions are correct. The traces seen in the Prediction Profiler are based on the model and the given factor levels. The interaction effect (2.5) is almost as large in magnitude as the first-order (or main) effects (3 and -3) so it is a major feature of the profiling.

A significant interaction effect means that the effect of one factor (discount) depends on the level of another factor (direct_comm).

• There is practically no effect of changing discount when direct_comm is 1.
  • There is practically no effect of changing direct_comm when discount is 0.
  • There is a strong effect of changing discount when direct_comm is 0.
  • There is a strong effect of changing direct_comm when discount is 1.

This case illustrates why interactions in the response are so important to modeling and prediction. The Prediction Profiler is a great way to understand and exploit interaction effects.