cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
NME
NME
Level I

Concatenating table rows with different column names

I'm trying to concatenate two data tables, one right under the other.  One of the tables is a continuation of the other table, but it doesn't contain column labels.  JMP 12 Help tells me that "if the two original data tables have columns with different names, those columns are included in the new data table showing missing values" when using Tables>Concatenate.  And this command definitely behaves this way (I've tried to get around this for a while with no luck)...

How CAN I force JMP to append my rows from one table to the bottom of another table?  Changing the column names is not an option, since I'm working with ~500 columns.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am fairly new to JMP, but scripting may be an option, if I'm helped along the way...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Concatenating table rows with different column names

Hi @NME,

I also run into this issue occasionally, and the best solution I've found is copying the column names from one table to the other table, and then concatenating. JMP makes this very easy -- you can select the columns in the columns list, and copy, then select the columns in the columns list of the other table and paste. I've added a 1min video showing this below.

I hope this helps!

-julian

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
julian

Hi @NME,

I also run into this issue occasionally, and the best solution I've found is copying the column names from one table to the other table, and then concatenating. JMP makes this very easy -- you can select the columns in the columns list, and copy, then select the columns in the columns list of the other table and paste. I've added a 1min video showing this below.

I hope this helps!

-julian

julian

Alternatively, you can select all rows and columns in the second table, Edit > Copy, then click in the first table, and with nothing selected (no columns and no rows) select Edit > Paste. As long as there is the same number of columns (and the data types match) JMP will paste the rows without respect to column names. This is sometimes faster, but I personally prefer the copy/paste column names then concatenate method since I can toggle adding a "Source Column," which is often useful. 

-julian

NME
NME
Level I

This solution is just too easy, I couldn't think of it...!  Thanks for your help.

julian

You're so welcome!
o129041voo
Level II

If the columns are not in the same order, this method will not work.  

See attached as example.

How to combine 2 tables when the column names are different & not in same order, but they're meant to be combined into 1 column for each pair of columns?