cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
martin_snogdahl
Level III

Computing statistical tolerance intervals in JMP

Hi,

I am looking into the calculation of one-sided tolerance intervals. Searching the documentation, I found the following paragraph:

Capture.PNG

Now, please correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it:

• s is the standard deviation of the data samples
  • is the sample mean
  • n is the number of samples
  • 1-α is the confidence
  • t is the noncentral t inverse cumulative distribution function
  • and finally  is the inverse cumulative normal distribution

The reason I am asking is that I am having difficulties recreating the tolerance interval calculated by this method in matlab. Please let me know if there is something here that I got wtong. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MRB3855
Super User

Re: Computing statistical tolerance intervals in JMP

It looks like you have it correct; for the one-sided case, g' can be calculated exactly (as shown in the documentation). For the two sided case, however, a variety of approximations are available and some are better than others. But, be warned, it is not the case that two one-sided tolerance intervals (lower and upper, respectively, each at 1-alpha/2 confidence) gives the same interval as a two-sided tolerance interval at 1-alpha confidence.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MRB3855
Super User

Re: Computing statistical tolerance intervals in JMP

It looks like you have it correct; for the one-sided case, g' can be calculated exactly (as shown in the documentation). For the two sided case, however, a variety of approximations are available and some are better than others. But, be warned, it is not the case that two one-sided tolerance intervals (lower and upper, respectively, each at 1-alpha/2 confidence) gives the same interval as a two-sided tolerance interval at 1-alpha confidence.