Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Level III

Columns for data in Three Way anova

I have emotion response and preference response from normal hearing and hearing impaired people for both 28 piano and drum clips. I have two factors tempo of the songs and mode of the song (major or minor). I want to look at both the fixed effects of tempo and mode and the interaction effects on each of these groups.  I am using Three way anova with Tempo (continuous), Mode(Nominal) and Hearing ability (Nominal).

However, I am having issues creating a column for Hearing ability since my data as shown in attached figure. I would like to create a separate column as Hearing ability with labels (0-Normal hearing, 1-Hearing Impaired). However, My data for emotion and preference for Normal hearing and hearing impaired are in separate columns.

If I put all the data for emotion both groups in one column and label it as emotion then it is possible to create one column as Hearing ability but then I have to append column of tempo and mode with the 28 values appended.

How do i account for Hearing ability in my model and create it as a separate variable?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Re: Columns for data in Three Way anova

I think this will do what you want:

1. Create 2 new columns, calling them NH and CI 
  2. Fill all of the rows for column NH with "0"s
  3. Fill all of the rows for column CI with "1"s
  4. Use the Tables==>Stack platform and select "Multiple series stack"
  5. Select Contiguous
  6. Place the columns NH Emotional Response...., CI Emotional Response ..., NH and CI into the Stack Columns selection box
  7. Click on OK

The results should give you a data table you can analyze

Jim
Highlighted
Level III

I did the first two steps (shown in figure) and then followed the steps. I get the all the emotion data for both NH and CI in one column. And then I end up in doing analysis for all emotional data for tempo, hearing ability and mode. I want to do analysis separately for each group (NH and CI) for the three variables with interaction.

Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

I interpreted NH as Normal Hearing, and CI as Clinically Impared, and that you want to compare Tempo, Mode and Hearing Ability on the Emotional data, and then on the Piano Preferences.  If you want to treat CI independly from NH, then a different stacking would be what you need.

1. Create 2 new columns, calling them Emotional and Preference 
  2. Fill all of the rows for column Emothional with "0"s
  3. Fill all of the rows for column Preference with "1"s
  4. Use the Tables==>Stack platform and select "Multiple series stack"
  5. Select Contiguous
  6. Place the columns NH Emotional Response...., NH Preference ..., CI Emotional Respnse....., CI Preference, Emotional and Preference into the Stack Columns selection box
  7. Change the Number of Series to 3
  8. Click on OK

The results should give you a data table you can analyze

Jim
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.