cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Françoise
Level V

Column with dates

Hello,

I've these columns:

exemple 1.jpg

I would like to build a graph with de "Difference" on the axis Y (continuous values).

it doen't work because the format is "caracter".

How can I do it?

thanks for your help.

Françoise

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Column with dates

my assumption is that you selected a column format that didn't match properly

Jim

View solution in original post

To add to @txnelson's response and his previous images.  All of your data types need to be converted to continuous for the difference calculation to work.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

You can easily convert all 3 of your columns into proper Date/Time columns for "Date hour preparation" and "date hour use" and into a duration column for the column called "Difference".  

I will start with the column "Difference"

1. Right click on the column header for column "Difference" and choose "Column Info".  You will see the following screen

change.PNG

2. Change the Data Type to Numeric. (A New format field will be displayed)

3. Change the Modeling Type to Coninuous

4. Change the Format to

Duration==>hr:m

The window will now look like

Change2.PNG

5. Click on the "Apply" button and the Difference Column will be changed to Numeric/Continuous

You can repeat the above steps for the 2 date/time columns, but instead of selecting a Duration format, select 

Time==>d/m/y h:m

change3.PNG

Which results in a data table looking like

change4.PNG

Jim
Françoise
Level V

ok, but when I change the data type in continuous numeric for the column "Difference", the values disappear!

That is one of things that happen when you change a column from categorical to numeric.  You can quickly recalculate the difference in a new column by highlighting the two columns of interest and then doing a right click in the column header area and selecting New Formula Column > Combine > Difference.  A new column will be added to your data table with the difference.  If that doesn't look exactly right try Difference (reverse order).

HTH

Françoise
Level V

I can't do it.

can you dio it in the file" exemple.jmp"?

txnelson
Super User

my assumption is that you selected a column format that didn't match properly

Jim

To add to @txnelson's response and his previous images.  All of your data types need to be converted to continuous for the difference calculation to work.