cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
FN
FN
Level VI

Coloring dot distributions indvidually by "Value Colors" property (or alternative)

I would like to plot the data distributions but coloring each variable individually.

Example:

example_objective.png

I found the following property which encodes color base on max/min gradient or user specific data.

example.png

However, this might not the be the right approach.

The code for the example which I manually composed to explain the goal is here:

// Start of script;
Names Default To Here( 1 );
Clear Log();

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Bands Data.JMP" );

Graph Builder(
	Size( 534, 456 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables(
		Y( :viscosity, Combine( "Parallel Merged" ) ),
		Y( :proof cut, Position( 1 ), Combine( "Parallel Merged" ) ),
		Y( :blade pressure, Position( 1 ), Combine( "Parallel Merged" ) ),
		Color( :viscosity )
	),
	Elements( Points( Y( 1 ), Y( 2 ), Y( 3 ), Legend( 10 ) ) )
)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Coloring dot distributions indvidually by "Value Colors" property (or alternative)

Is this kind of what you want?

colors.PNG

It was created by subsetting each of the 3 columns of Viscosity, Proof Cut and Blade Pressure into 3 separate data tables.  Then adding doing a Color and Mark by Column on the one column in each table, and indicating to  Save to Column Property.

Next, I changed the name of the column to "Value", and then added a new column called "Type" and set each of the values in the data table to what type of measurement it was.......Viscosity, Proof Cut or Blade Pressure. 

Finally I concatenated the 3 data tables together, and brought up Graph Builder , placing the Value column as the X variable, and the Y Grouping as the Type.

The script for the Graph Builder is below

Graph Builder(
	Size( 531, 456 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :Value ), Group Y( :Type ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Legend( 5 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"graph title",
			TextEditBox,
			{Set Text( "Viscosity, Proof Cut & Blade Presure" )}
		)
	)
);
Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: Coloring dot distributions indvidually by "Value Colors" property (or alternative)

Is this kind of what you want?

colors.PNG

It was created by subsetting each of the 3 columns of Viscosity, Proof Cut and Blade Pressure into 3 separate data tables.  Then adding doing a Color and Mark by Column on the one column in each table, and indicating to  Save to Column Property.

Next, I changed the name of the column to "Value", and then added a new column called "Type" and set each of the values in the data table to what type of measurement it was.......Viscosity, Proof Cut or Blade Pressure. 

Finally I concatenated the 3 data tables together, and brought up Graph Builder , placing the Value column as the X variable, and the Y Grouping as the Type.

The script for the Graph Builder is below

Graph Builder(
	Size( 531, 456 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :Value ), Group Y( :Type ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Legend( 5 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"graph title",
			TextEditBox,
			{Set Text( "Viscosity, Proof Cut & Blade Presure" )}
		)
	)
);
Jim
FN
FN
Level VI

It does seem to do the trick, thanks.

Two small questions about this solution:

1. Can you script code the row colors?

2. Is there a way to dynamically link the two tables so when one value in the original column is selected the row of the concatenated is also highlighted?

FN
FN
Level VI

Looking at your solution again, if one normalizes each column variable first then you can color them directly within graph builder.

Notice that the example worked because the ranges were similar.

FN_0-1595954507616.png

The concatenated table can have two columns to keep all the information:
-  Value (original)
- Normalized value (used for color)

The final question to accept the solution:

• How tall can a JMP table be?
  • How to link with original table?

The alternative for the second point will be to:

a) show the original value as information when you are hovering your mouse

b) or create graphlet with a column filter that changes the plot (image above).

As this will be a very long table it should be a solution that does not make JMP struggle.

txnelson
Super User

The size of a JMP table is limited by the amount of RAM memory you have.  I have actually seen a demonstration with over a Billion rows.

Concerning linking, you can do a virtual link between tables, or you can use

Tables==>Join to put the data together.  However, in JMP it is typical to have multiple tables for a giving analysis.  The way JMP deals with that is to open a JMP Project, where you can place all of your tables and journals and charts, as well as items from outside the JMP domain.

Jim