Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Cluster correlations analysis in JMP?

Kyle

New Contributor

Oct 20, 2017

Hi Everyone,

I just whatched one of @julian you tube videos, displaying how to make different heatmap correlation plots using jmp.

I am trying to analyze one of my data sets by taking different correlation values, spearman p, pearson, and kendall's t, then clustering the data using different techniques, ward, average, complete linkage etc. The end result is to produce something similar to the photo below made in R studio.

I know there is a cluster off of correlation feature in multivarate, but does anyone know how do you adjust the cluster techque as well as the correlation values used in the cluster analysis?

Analysis produced in R studio

R correlation cluster.png

Thanks for your help

Kyle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Solution

Hi @Kyle,

The correlation heat map in Multivariate is based on the Pearson correlation only. If you want to make a heat map of correlations using another statistic (like Tau, or Rho) you'll need to generate a table of correlations like I showed in the video you watched. To do that more quickly you could use an add-in I wrote to automate the process: https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/Correlate-Y-by-X-Add-In/ta-p/23628/

As for changing the clustering technique, you can set the method used when you launch Hierarchical Clustering from Analyze > Clustering in the options section on the lower left side of the launch window. Once you've generated the cluster report, you can request Two-Way clustering from the Red Triangle, which will cluster the variables used in your analysis. Assembling all the pieces together to make the plot you attached will be a somewhat manual process -- my recommendation would be to save each element as an image from JMP and then assemble them in a graphics program (or even Powerpoint).  

I hope this helps get you started!

@julian

2 REPLIES
julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Solution

Hi @Kyle,

The correlation heat map in Multivariate is based on the Pearson correlation only. If you want to make a heat map of correlations using another statistic (like Tau, or Rho) you'll need to generate a table of correlations like I showed in the video you watched. To do that more quickly you could use an add-in I wrote to automate the process: https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/Correlate-Y-by-X-Add-In/ta-p/23628/

As for changing the clustering technique, you can set the method used when you launch Hierarchical Clustering from Analyze > Clustering in the options section on the lower left side of the launch window. Once you've generated the cluster report, you can request Two-Way clustering from the Red Triangle, which will cluster the variables used in your analysis. Assembling all the pieces together to make the plot you attached will be a somewhat manual process -- my recommendation would be to save each element as an image from JMP and then assemble them in a graphics program (or even Powerpoint).  

I hope this helps get you started!

@julian

Kyle

New Contributor

Oct 20, 2017

Thanks,

The addin is very helpful as well