cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lodey101
Level II

Check to see if a list is empty

Hi there,

This may be an easy question to answer but what I am trying to do is use JMP  to count the number of files contained within a specific directory and return a value of either 0 if none exist or the number of files.

I know that using the Files In Directory function will list the files contained as a list but what I want to do is convert this to a numerical value:

ie:

//set up raw dir

raw_dir = "C:\\My PhotoFilmStrips\";

_files = Files In Directory( raw_dir );

//show files

show(_files);

show( Type(_files), Is Empty(_files), Is Missing(_files), _files==Empty());

If I run the above script i get the following with a file contained within the raw directory:

Type(_files) = "List";

Is Empty(_files) = 0;

Is Missing(_files) = {0};

_files == Empty() = 0;

When the directory is empty I get:

Type(_files) = "Number";

Is Empty(_files) = 0;

Is Missing(_files) = 1;

_files == Empty() = .;

How can I make use of the Is Missing variable - ie if it is 1 then assign the number to a variable like tt=0 and when it the Is Missing variable is 0 then tt=1

Any help would be appreciated

Rgds

Colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Check to see if a list is empty

In JMP 10 and 11 an empty directory gives an empty list, not a missing value and I would thus expect Is Missing() to return 0. Strangely, If applied to an empty list Is Missing() returns an empty list, not 0 or 1 that is the expected output from a boolean function. I am not sure how it works in JMP 9.

I suggest you use N Items() instead. For example:

tt=(nitems(_files)>0);

If using Is Missing() you can switch between 0 and 1 with the NOT operator, i.e. !Is Missing()

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

In JMP 10 and 11 an empty directory gives an empty list, not a missing value and I would thus expect Is Missing() to return 0. Strangely, If applied to an empty list Is Missing() returns an empty list, not 0 or 1 that is the expected output from a boolean function. I am not sure how it works in JMP 9.

I suggest you use N Items() instead. For example:

tt=(nitems(_files)>0);

If using Is Missing() you can switch between 0 and 1 with the NOT operator, i.e. !Is Missing()

Is Missing() on an empty list will return an empty list, because it is operating on each element of a list.  If the list is empty, there are no elements for Is Missing() to operate on, so it returns the empty list.  However, a better way to see this is the following example:

lst = {1,2,.,""};

ismissing(lst);

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development