Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
isurano
Level I

Characteristics of Raw material in a DOE

Dear All,
i would like to perform a DOE to analyze my process, in terms of variables like temperature, time etc.
But i would like to include the characteristics of the Raw Materials.
In the DOW I would like to include these characteristics in to the analyze but the characteristics are fixed by material I can't change these.

Example:
I want understand the best process, in terms of Temperature and Time to mix flour and water.
I have three different lots of flour:
Lot A flour: Yellow color, particles size of 1000micron
Lot B flour: white color, particle size of 2000micron
Lot C flour: yellow color, particle size of 1500micron

I would like to use temperature and time how responses, but i don't know what kind of factor I have to use for the characterstics of the materials (color - particle size)

Can you help me?
Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
shoffmeister
Level IV

Re: Characteristics of Raw material in a DOE

I would recommend using "Uncontrolled" factors in a custom DOE for this problem. Do something like this:

custom design.PNG

As a result you get a design with optimal factor settings for the controllable factors and empty columns for the uncontrollable ones.

design.PNG

Just fill in the values of your raw materials and run the experiments.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
shoffmeister
Level IV

I would recommend using "Uncontrolled" factors in a custom DOE for this problem. Do something like this:

custom design.PNG

As a result you get a design with optimal factor settings for the controllable factors and empty columns for the uncontrollable ones.

design.PNG

Just fill in the values of your raw materials and run the experiments.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
isurano
Level I

Thank you so much!
Then, I can adding Lot Number Batch like factor, I can adding uncontrolled variables for color and particle size and when I obtain the table i can put in the Color and Particle size column the values.

Schermata 2017-11-21 alle 12.13.30.png
In this way I can associate the characteristics of the materials at the batch.

Schermata 2017-11-21 alle 12.15.55.png

Its correct?

Thank you

Highlighted
shoffmeister
Level IV

Hi! 

You can definitively give this a try. But please be aware that it might happen, that you cannot learn anything about the effect of color and particle size.

Especially if each batch has unique settings in terms of color and particle size (like it is happening to be the case in your example) then you will be facing the problem of multicollinearity.

That does not mean the DOE is bad or anything like that, just that you will not be able to understand how color and particle size affect the viscosity as you will have to remove those columns from the analysis to be able to calculate a model.

Highlighted
isurano
Level I

Hi,
unfortunately part of my goal is to understand how the characteristics of the material, for each batch, affect the process.
For the study it's very important.
Do you have idea how I can solve it?

Highlighted
shoffmeister
Level IV

Don't worry it's possible. You just have to make sure that you pick the right batches. 

To be on the save side you just need two batches of each relevant color. One of those batches in each color should have a relatively large particle size and the other one should have a small particle size. You could for example try to find 8 batches with the following parameters:

BatchColorParticle Size
AYellowsmall (maybe ~1000)
BYellowlarge (maybe ~2000)
CWhitesmall
DWhitelarge
ERedsmall
FRedlarge
GGreensmall
HGreenlarge

The particle sizes do not need to be perfectly 1000 or 2000, but try to find batches that are on the higher end (or lower end) of particle sizes and you will be fine. If you are able to find these specific kinds of batches you can actually treat "Color" and "Particle Size" just as a factor that you can control.

If you just have some given batches with known color and particle size you could actually treat "Color" and "Particle Size" as a covariate as well. There is a nice article about that in the JMP help: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/Experiments_with_Covariates.shtml

If I understand you correctly the example there is pretty much what you are trying to do.

Kind regards,

Sebastian

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.