Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Changing Chars to Time format -column properties and informat does not work-

saitcopuroglu

Community Trekker

Sep 29, 2014

Dear community,

I guess importing from excel almost every time comes with formatting issues. Checked the discussions before I open this discussion and as I can see most of the cases have been solved by just simply changing the column properties to num-date format or just simply using informat. First turns a blank column, second does not work for me and with my weak knowledge. Table is attached and need to turn the "date" column to date format. (Using 13.1 on a mac)

Any help would be appreciated..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Chilton

Aug 27, 2015

Solution

One way to do this is to use a function like Date DMY and grab each individual peice of your date using the Word function. Informat will not work for you because "dd.mm.yyyy" is not a valid format.

Date DMY(
	Num( Word( 1, :Date, "." ) ),
	Num( Word( 2, :Date, "." ) ),
	Num( Word( 3, :Date, "." ) )
)

You may also want to check out the Data Table Tools Add-In. It has a Custom Date Writer within it that you can find details about here. The formulas it creates are not necessarily the simplest to understand, but they do provide the desired output.

Justin
1 REPLY
Justin_Chilton

Aug 27, 2015

Solution

One way to do this is to use a function like Date DMY and grab each individual peice of your date using the Word function. Informat will not work for you because "dd.mm.yyyy" is not a valid format.

Date DMY(
	Num( Word( 1, :Date, "." ) ),
	Num( Word( 2, :Date, "." ) ),
	Num( Word( 3, :Date, "." ) )
)

You may also want to check out the Data Table Tools Add-In. It has a Custom Date Writer within it that you can find details about here. The formulas it creates are not necessarily the simplest to understand, but they do provide the desired output.

Justin