Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Cannot Display Chart report in descending order

Can someone share how to display a Chart report with Y count values in descending order (highest on left)?

The data table is already sorted in descending order for my discrete numerical (ordinal) data, and I modified this column properties by clicking 'reverse" in the "Value Ordering" window. Still the Chart displays the data in alphabatical order instead of numeric descending order.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES
btvs

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Normally I would say to go to column info and select "Value Ordering" and sort your values the way you want, but with JMP 8 I am having trouble with this function. It is working in some tables but not others. This worked fine in JMP 7. Also frustrating is that when I create summary or subset tables, the value ordering doesn't stick and it has to be reset all over again. It was this way in JMP 7 also and I was hoping JMP 8 would fix it but instead the functionality seems worse.
chungwei

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

I tried doing subset on a data table with a column XXX that has value ordering assigned to it, and the column XXX kept its value ordering property in the subset. When I did a chart with XXX assigned as X, the chart shows the bar in the order as specified in the Value Ordering.
So I am curious as to how you assign and use the Value Ordering property that failed to work.
chungwei

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

The bars of the chart (assuming bar chart is requested) will be shown in the order of your X column, not the order of the count values. Chart does not have an option to display bars in order of count values.
chungwei

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Actually, if you have a simple chart, like one categorical column that you want the count of, Pareto will do it. Pareto always display the count in descending order.