Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Can you call R on a server from a desktop JMP ?

bthaby1

Community Trekker

Feb 23, 2012

I think the answer to this is no.. but is anyone calling an R instance on a server from JMP ?

We like the visualizations in JMP, and use them in conjunction with desktop R.   Just

trying to get some more CPU power.

10 REPLIES
mohammadfayaz

Community Trekker

Jan 28, 2012

Hi,

Find your answer in JMP.Com( here ):

"You can exchange data between JMP and R, submit R code from JMP within a JMP script, and render R graphics directly in JMP. Combining these elements allows R developers who know a little JMP, or JMP developers who know a little R, to build JMP add-ins that use the advanced capabilities in R whenever they are valuable, surfacing them in a way that is appropriate for any user."

Also see right panel of this page, you can find valuable information to do what you want there.

bthaby1

Community Trekker

Feb 23, 2012

Let me clarify my question.  I understand JMP can invoke R when they are both installed on the same computer.

Can JMP on one computer connect with R which is running on a server. 

ms

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Even if the documentation says that R and JMP must be installed on the same machine, it may be possible by changing the R_HOME environment variable.

The JSL command

Get Environment Variable( "R_HOME" );

return the current R installation. To trick JMP into loading R from another location that OS-level variable need to be changed. But if a remotely located R_HOME is possible at all I don't know. And you may ruin your desktop R connection.

It would be interesting to hear if someone's dared to try.

An alternative would be to have both JMP and R on the server and use remote desktop.

bthaby1

Community Trekker

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks MS for inputs.    Our Server is Linux. . so we may have to rethink the 2nd option.   I am not sure I am ready to dare trying option #1, but I might.

bthaby1

Community Trekker

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks PMroz.  We like R for heavy lifting. .but when you try to output both graph and non graph modelling results info in R . . we are finding it difficult to get both into a report.  (without having to learn the Sweave package). We like JMP's scripting display box capability of combining graphs and results (non graph info) .and were seeing if we  could use JMP to call R and port back the graph and results data frames to reformat and display in JMP.   But. . we still have to see if we can get desktop JMP to call R on a server.    I like MS's idea of trying to installing a JMP on a server.

anne_sa

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2016

Hello,

I have just found this post and I am currently facing the same problem: I would like to call R (which is located on a server) from JMP on my desktop.
However it is not possible for me to install JMP on the server.
I have tried to change the R_HOME variable:

Set Environment Variable("R_HOME","\\ServerName\R-3.2.1");

but when I launch the R Init() command I get the following message in the log:

DLL:"\\ServerName\R-3.2.2\bin\x64\R.dll"

I would like to know if someone has more information about this topic? Do you have any idea of how we could do this?

Thanks in advance!

ian_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

As has been said already, R and JMP must reside on the same computer for the 'out of the box' integration to work. I'm doubtful that you could make it work any other way, but even if you could, I believe it would be regarded as 'unsupported'. You might be able to do something for yourself, of course.

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

My colleague, @ian_jmp, is correct but to expand on it a bit more...

JMP and R communicate interprocess. That is, JMP opens R and communicates with it in-memory. This same kind of communication just isn't possible if R isn't running on the same machine.

Do you have a server version of R, like Microsoft R Server or do you just have a regular R distribution installed on a server? JMP can't communicate with the Microsoft R Server right now but with enough requests we could investigate whether that was feasible. 

-Jeff