Our World Statistics Day conversations have been a great reminder of how much statistics can inform our lives. Do you have an example of how statistics has made a difference in your life? Share your story with the Community!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
john_madden
Level V

Can column Event Hander tooltip popups contain rich text?

I'm trying to get more control of the format of text in my column Event Hander tooltip popups.

I only know how to return a generic string from the Tip clause of an Event Handler specification.

Is it possible to pass in e.g. rich text/HTML text?

Basically, I'd to display a mini-table in my tooltip popup, requiring tabbed display in the popup box. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can column Event Hander tooltip popups contain rich text?

Understood. You probably would be able to do that using the hover label extensions as it is fully customizable using JSL.

We have discussed internally the idea of extending the Hover Label Extensions functionality to Data Tables.

If you would like to have this feature in a future release, please add an entry to our Wish List.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

I think this is probably the limit of what it can currently do

Tabs and NewlinesTabs and Newlines

tiny table in a tiptiny table in a tip

Craige
Highlighted
john_madden
Level V

Thanks Craige. 

The problem with tabs in the present (and I'm sure you know this) is that you can't set tab stops. So if the data has variable width, the columns get crosseyed.

I sent an enhancement request up to see if there is a way to help with this.

Highlighted

Hi @john_madden,

If you have access to JMP 15, you could look into the Hover Label Extensions:

* Textlets allow you display rich text, using HTML markup. But links are not supported in this extension yet.

* Gridlets allow you to add individual entries on the hover label "grid" (list of name-value pairs), including links. It is already displayed using a table-like layout. Entries can be styled - fonts can be changed, made bigger, bold, with different colors, etc.

* Graphlets allow you to display a snapshot of a JMP Platform as a thumbmail, you could use that do display a Tabulate instance. Clicking on the thumbnail would launch the Platform on its own window.

TabulatePreset.PNG

Detailed examples available here: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.1/index.shtml#page/jmp/hover-labels.shtml#599895

Highlighted
john_madden
Level V

Thanks, Nascif.

I was looking at these, but it's not clear to me how to make these hover labels key off of a column Event Handler. Ideas?

Highlighted

They don't. They provide functionality that is very closely related to the column Event Handler, but it is specific to graph hover labels.

If you are looking for something that is specific to the table cell tooltips, this won't work.
Highlighted
john_madden
Level V

Yes, that’s my goal. I want popups from data table cells that give information relating to the value in the cell.

(Specifically, I’m wanting the popup to disclose rows in the same or in another table— rows that have a one-to-many relation to the value in the cell I hover over.
I can do this with Event Handler, but since I can’t control the tab stops in the popup, the "mini-table" that results has columns that don’t always line up properly.)
Highlighted

Understood. You probably would be able to do that using the hover label extensions as it is fully customizable using JSL.

We have discussed internally the idea of extending the Hover Label Extensions functionality to Data Tables.

If you would like to have this feature in a future release, please add an entry to our Wish List.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
john_madden
Level V

Thanks, Nascif! I have put in a Wish List item on this.