Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
KMassa
Level I

Calculating an odds ratio with an empty box

How can I calculate an odds ratio with an empty box that would put a zero in the denominator? How can I get a confidence interval?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Calculating an odds ratio with an empty box

We can help you if you give us more information.

• How are you using JMP?
    • Which platforms are you using?
    • Which models are you using?
  • Are you working from a categorical response (data) or do you have a function for the probabilities or odds (model)?
  • Are you writing a JMP script?
    • What kind of empty box are you using?
  • What is the scenario in which the denominator would be zero?
Learn it once, use it forever!
Highlighted
KMassa
Level I

Thanks Mark. 

I believe I am using JMP 15.

I am using Fit X by Y with categorical variables.  The "positive" outcomes occurs in the intervention group 100% of the time, so I believe that when I ask for an odds ratio, it can't be calculated because the other outcome occurs 0% of the time (and so there is a 0 in the denominator).

I've read about using a small value in place of the 0, in which case I can just calculate an odds ratio by hand, but I'd like to get a 95% CI.  I would think that one end of the 95% CI would be infinite...?

Katherine

Highlighted

I see. I am not familiar with this 'trick,' so I cannot advise you. I imagine, though, that the trick assumes large counts or else it would drastically affect the estimation of the odds ratio and its interval.

Learn it once, use it forever!
Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.