Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

CPK Calculation - Ignoring a few values

Sanjay

New Contributor

Aug 14, 2017

I am new to JMP and would need some help with CPK calculation.

At the completion  of each experiment i have something around 600 values ranging from -5.0 to +5.0 (in an ideal scenario) and of these only values that are in the range of -3.0 to +3.0 are of interest to me. Is there an option to exclude the values that are outside the range -3.0 to +3.0?

Right now i am manually editing (as in deleting) the values in excel before importing them to JMP

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES
markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

A direct but easier way is to select Rows > Data Filter. Select the data column of interest and click Add. You can now edit the range (shorten it) from the minimum and maximum of the values to the desired limits. Select the Include option near the top of the filter and the Distribution platform will only include data within the filtered range.

How is excluding data for computing the Cpk index justified? It is a measure of the process capability, so usually all of the process results are included?

Also, have you considered the time dependence of these values? Is the process in control while this data was collected?

Learn it once, use it forever!
Sanjay

New Contributor

Aug 14, 2017

Sorry I should have been a bit more clearer.

Time dependence is not an issue and yes the process is in control. Each measurement value contains information  about 3 coordinates (X,Y,Z) saved in 3 columns and if any of the coordinates fall outside the +3 to +3 range, the cooresponding X,Y or Z coordinates have to be discarded as well (Basically the whole row)

ian_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

This script illustrates Mark's suggestion above. Move the sliders and you should see the graphs update accordingly.

NamesDefaultToHere(1);
// Make some random data
dt = NewTable("Data",
			NewColumn("X", Formula(RandomNormal(0,2.0))),
			NewColumn("Y", Formula(RandomNormal(0,2.0))),
			NewColumn("Z", Formula(RandomNormal(0,2.0))),
			AddRows(100)
			);
// Do capability with a local data filter
dt << Process Capability(
				Process Variables( :X, :Y, :Z ),
				Spec Limits(