cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
datanaut
Level III

Box Plots Shifted in Graph Builder

For some reason I can't figure out, my box plots are appearing on either side of the ordinal x-axis line in this graph building chart.  I can see the boxes well enough but why off-center (left of the grid line on the LHS and right of the grid line on the RHS)?

datanaut_0-1583268751585.png

datanaut_1-1583268828168.png

Running on Mac, JMP® 14.2.0

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
mlo1
Level IV

Re: Box Plots Shifted in Graph Builder

mlo1_0-1583269666959.png

I can't see your axis setting but it happens if the value is on Overlay too.
You can switch it off while check the Overlay tick box off.

datanaut
Level III

Thanks for the quick response1

You were correct, I had the x also as overlay ignorer that the box plots would adopt the color of the legend.

The box plots going off center like this seems like a bug, not a feature?

I moved the X variable to 'Color' and out of 'Overlay' and it's centered now.  Very helpful.

But now the box plots are monochrome.  And the 5 number summary (part of the reason i wanted the boxes centered in the first place) is nearly falling off the chart on the RHS.  Definitely an improvement because before the 5 number summary wasn't even visible for the right most box.

datanaut_0-1583275357907.png

datanaut
Level III

Question to the community.  @mlo1 gave an answer that addressed the offset problem (thank you).  But that solution created a new issue (no color on my box plots).  Do I accept it as a solution and start a new thread on the issue of coloring box plots?  Or persist on this thread because the offset in the box plots with overlay X looks like a bug.  

What's customary and what's most effective?  

Thanks.

I think we might have simple, orthogonal discussions in a perfect world. Here, not so much. If you think that your new question will lead to a lengthy discussion, then it would be better to start a separate discussion. In this case, though, the answer is straight-forward.

Capture.JPG

I used Big Class for this demonstration. I added age to the X axis. I added weight to the Y axis. I added weight again below the previous weight on the Y axis. I changed the lower plot to use the bar element instead of points. I changed the upper plot to use the box plot element instead of points. I added sex to the Color role. The boxes seem to have adopted the same blended color as the bars. Maybe the order of my steps makes a difference.

datanaut
Level III

Thanks for this reply.  I got away from this question and just coming back.

I'm on a Mac, 64 bit with JMP 14.3.

When I try your sequence of steps on Big Class, I don't get the box plots adopting the color of the blended bars below.  I changed the box plot type to solid the emphasize the color.

datanaut_2-1598624956659.png

Also, I'd actually like to have the color be drawn from 'age' in this case, not another variable.  When I do that, i get the shifted and colored response:

datanaut_1-1598624868392.png

I tried adjusting the 'jitter' settings but to no effect.  An additional hazard to this is the 5 number summary is unreadable at the RHS.

Could this be remedied in a future release?  How do I make a JMP bug report?