Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Bootstrapping Question

Steven_Moore

Super User

Jun 4, 2014

When using the Distribution Platform to use bootstrapping, what is the default size of the individual bootstrap samples?  Is it possible to select the size of the samples?

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

I think the question was about the "sample size", not the number of samples.

My understanding of the bootstrap method is that the sample size would be the number of data points that you have.  So in Lou's example, the sample size would be 40.  That sounds kind of weird when you think you are taking a "sample".  How can you take say 100 samples if each sample contains all 40 data points?  The answer is that each sample differs because the sampling is being done with replacement.   Therefore in any one sample, some data points may appear multiple times and others may not appear at all.

Dave

-Dave
3 REPLIES
louv

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

The bootstrapping capability is a JMP Pro capability. The default number of samples is 100 but one can set it to the desired number through the use of the dialog box that appears when it is enabled.

7147_Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 4.58.12 PM.png

Solution

I think the question was about the "sample size", not the number of samples.

My understanding of the bootstrap method is that the sample size would be the number of data points that you have.  So in Lou's example, the sample size would be 40.  That sounds kind of weird when you think you are taking a "sample".  How can you take say 100 samples if each sample contains all 40 data points?  The answer is that each sample differs because the sampling is being done with replacement.   Therefore in any one sample, some data points may appear multiple times and others may not appear at all.

Dave

-Dave
Steven_Moore

Super User

Jun 4, 2014

Thank-you Dave.

Steve