cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
basharss
Level I

Bin vs. die and device related to Lot

I am still new in Semiconductor field; While I know what is the Lot, wafer and the die. I still need to know what is the bin?! How is it related to die? Why Lot is joined with device? How is it known devices related to Lot?
Is there any documentation about this?
I really need your help, any comment or link will be highly appreciated.
(I did many search on google but didn't find what I need, maybe I am not good on search or there lack of info about these)

2 REPLIES 2
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: Bin vs. die and device related to Lot

The 'die' corresponds to the final product being made, but to make it, multiple die are fabricated on a planar, circular 'wafer', and these wafers are often grouped into 'lots' (typically 24 wafers in a lot). When all the steps required to fabricate the product are completed, all the die on each wafer are tested to see how well they work. Although potentially complex, the end result of this test is that each die is assigned to a 'bin' (some bins being considered 'passing', and some bins 'failing'). To make functioning products, each wafer is sawn up (between the die), and passing die are assembled and packaged. Generally, only one product type is fabricated on each wafer, so the goal is to process that wafer at each step in such a way that all the die on it are, nominally, identical.

Try searching for 'semiconductor fabrication' or 'wafer fabrication'.

Re: Bin vs. die and device related to Lot

There are several definitions for the term "bin" in the semiconductor industry. The most common one (in my opinion) is related to sort and electrical testing of the devices (die). At specific points in the processing of the wafers the devices are tested for electrical performance, etc. They are sorted into logical groups based on performance, observed failure modes, etc. These logical groups are called "bins." The term "bin" is a term borrowed from physical sorting where the products being sorted (produce, potato chips, bolts, etc...) are actually put into physical bins based on criteria important to the product. In the semiconductor industry, it's just a logical grouping attached to the die, and usually the wafer or lot level, information in the fab database that has lots of uses in root cause analysis.

If you want to see how the different levels of data you describe are used in an analysis you can check out the "Pinpointing and Reducing Spatial Defects" Mastering JMP webinar (http://www.jmp.com/en_us/events/ondemand/mastering-jmp/pinpointing-and-reducing-defects.html).

Best,

M