Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Basic Startup Question

horzh

Community Member

Oct 10, 2013

I'm pretty tech-illiterate, so this probably has a fairly simple solution, but still: I've installed JMP fully, but every time I try to open it I get an error message reading "There was an exception to JMP, it will shut down." I've run the install checker a number of times and that says that I'm missing a Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Microsoft Runtime 10.0; however, I've downloading several; Visual C++packages from Microsoft and problem has not been resolved.  Am I missing something?  Where do I go from here?

2 REPLIES
mpb

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

Contact JMP support. You can use the link "submit a problem report" at the bottom of this page to do this.

blackeneth

Community Trekker

Mar 6, 2013

What version of JMP are you trying to install?  JMP 10?

I think you're having the same problem I had.

The solution is to update the root certificates on Windows 7

Go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39802

You'll have to validate your Windows version first

Hit Continue

Then Continue again - this will trigger the file GenuineCheck.exe to download

Run GenuineCheck.exe

This will display your validation code and let you copy it to the Clipboard

The go back to the validation web page and paste in the validation code and click the "VALIDATE" button

OK, now that you're validated, the actual download window shows up:

the "Update for Root Certificates for Windows XP [August 2013] (KB931125)" page.

IGNORE THAT IT SAYS WINDOWS XP - IT WORKS FINE WITH WINDOWS 7

click to download the file

the file "rootsupd.exe" is download

run it

It runs in the blink of an eye - it is very fast - and you get no feedback that it's done, but it has updated your root certificates.

OK, at this point, go back and install the Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Microsoft Runtime 10.0. It should install OK.

Now install JMP.

should install this time!

About 1% of the users at my company had this problem.