Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
SDeGrood
Level II

Background map not scaling properly

I'm trying to create a simple plot of location data with the background map as the "Street Map Service" image.  The data is for a relatively small area (approximately 1 sq. mile).  However, the background map only shows as a small area in the bottom left.  I've tried several of the available images, and they all plot the same way.  

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Any suggestions on solutions?  I'm new to JMP, so I'd really appreciate spelling out each step.  

Thank you!

Map.png

Shira DeGrood
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
SDeGrood
Level II

Re: Background map not scaling properly

Problem solved!  I had the wrong column data type.  Thanks for all your help.

Shira DeGrood

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Hi,

I believe part of the problem may be in the way your longitudes are expressed.  If this is only for a small area, why do the longitudes vary so widely?

Highlighted
Craige_Hales
Staff (Retired)

(What version of JMP are you running?)

The vertical axis is about .0045 degrees, or about 1500 feet. The horizontal axis wraps around the world. I think JMP is not handling that extreme stretch, and wants your longitude values to be -180..180, not 0..360. You can double-click the vertical axis and use the axis dialog to set the axis range from -90 to 90. Then you can use the zoom tool to zoom in. You can also make a formula column to recode the longitude, something like

if(lon>180, lon-360, lon)

which wraps the values bigger than 180 backwards by a full circle.

@JohnPonte @XanGregg 

column formulacolumn formula

Craige
Highlighted
SDeGrood
Level II

I'm running JMP 15.0.0

You've identified the deeper problem...for some reason, once I add the background map, the longitude values change in the graph.  Here's the graph before I added the background map.  As you can see, the longitude range is much smaller. 

AOPC wo map.png

Shira DeGrood
Highlighted

Do you values change in the table as well, or just in the graph?  Would you be able to post the table with the GB script attached?

Highlighted
SDeGrood
Level II

The longitude only changes in the graph, not in the table.  I've attached the data.    

Here's the script: 

Graph Builder(
	Size( 534, 456 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :Longitude ), Y( :Latitude ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 6 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Longitude",
			ScaleBox,
			{Scale( "Geodesic" ), Min( -39.7514204545454 ), Max( 366.751420454545 ), Inc( 1 ), Minor Ticks( 0 )}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Latitude",
			ScaleBox,
			{Min( -18.8522727272727 ), Max( 340.852272727273 ), Inc( 1 ), Minor Ticks( 0 )}
		),
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Graph Builder",
			FrameBox,
			{Background Map( Images( "Street Map Service" ) ), Grid Line Order( 2 ), Reference Line Order( 3 )}
		)
	)
)

AOPC table w script.png

Shira DeGrood
Highlighted
SDeGrood
Level II

Problem solved!  I had the wrong column data type.  Thanks for all your help.

Shira DeGrood

View solution in original post

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.