Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Autopopulate Columns from other Column Data

Community Member

Dec 19, 2013

Hello All,

I have been tinkering around with JMP for a couple months and garnering what info I can from our statisticians JMP files, but i ran into a dilemma.  I have tables of data which is udated about once a week with similar data, in a continous stability fashion.  I was wonderinf if there was a way to set some columns to recognize features from the new columns and autopopulate the similar data from previous columns.

So, I have a column for ID and then initial 1 and initial 2 values.  Each ID (i have 12 of them) has its own specific initial 1 and initial 2 values that do not change throughout the course of the stability.  I was wondering if there was a way to have the initial columns autopopulate their values when i add data to the table.  So i add ID #2 data.  Is there a way to have the column see that and pull from previous ID #2 data and put the corresponding Initial values into the two columns?  I am trying to not have to constantly add the initial values for each ID as I add data every week.  I am sorry that this explanation is kind of messy.  Things always sound better and more coherent in my head.

Thanks for any help.

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

One way would be to use a column formula in each initial value column.

If the ID column is called "ID" the Match() function below returns a value for each row depending on the ID. Note the syntax with alternating ID values (as strings if ID is a character column) and corresponding initial values. The optional last value can be used as an error check, i.e. to highlight if a faulty ID was entered.

Example (expand to all 12 ID's and and insert preferred initial values):

Match( :ID, "ID #1", 2, "ID #2", 5, ..., ID #12, 4.2, 999)