Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Augmenting an experiment while changing columns design role

guilhem

Community Trekker

Jul 16, 2015

I have designed a screening experiment assigning some numerical columns to be continuous.

The experiments have been run and I need some supplementary runs however I would like these columns to be discrete numbers.

I am struggling to find a way to include the already existing runs in this new design.

Typically, starting with 4 continuous variables and the 8 runs of a half-fractional experiment, how to generate a design including these runs when 2 of these 4 variables can only take specific values (respectively 3 and 4 levels). The new design is looking at all main effects, secondary interactions, quadratic terms (Xi*Xi) and a blocking var to distinguish the initial runs from the new ones.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ryan_lekivetz

Nov 1, 2013

Solution

The following should work, but make sure you have your work saved since this is mostly untested. I've tried it in 11.2.1 and 12.1 and have been able to get it to work.

From your original design data table:

1) For the columns you want to be discrete numeric, go to the "design role" and change it to discrete numeric.

2) For those columns, add additional rows with the new levels that you want added. Leave the other columns alone (they'll show up with missing values).

3) Now go to DOE->Augment Design. The factors should be loaded in as discrete numeric with the extra levels you specified in the "fake" rows. These rows are not included in the design because of the missing values.

Hope this helps!

2 REPLIES
ryan_lekivetz

Nov 1, 2013

Solution

The following should work, but make sure you have your work saved since this is mostly untested. I've tried it in 11.2.1 and 12.1 and have been able to get it to work.

From your original design data table:

1) For the columns you want to be discrete numeric, go to the "design role" and change it to discrete numeric.

2) For those columns, add additional rows with the new levels that you want added. Leave the other columns alone (they'll show up with missing values).

3) Now go to DOE->Augment Design. The factors should be loaded in as discrete numeric with the extra levels you specified in the "fake" rows. These rows are not included in the design because of the missing values.

Hope this helps!

guilhem

Community Trekker

Jul 16, 2015

Works perfectly well!

Thanks Ryan