cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Assign unique ID for each unique text

Hi all,

I would like to get your help in the following case. I have a data that dealing with drugs and their specific problems within different firms. The two columns (i.e. drug name and problem specifications) are text data. I would like to create a third column (continous one) that add unique ID to each drug name when it appears. For instance, Piperacillin Sodium and Tazobactam Sodium is drug name. When ever this name appear assign ID=1. If the drug name changed to Zoledronic Acid, for instance, ID=2 and so on so forth. Could you please help me in building formula in JMP to address this case? Best, Qais

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Assign unique ID for each unique text

Here is a script that runs against a sample data table that creates an ID column with a formula as you want

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\cars.jmp" );
dt << New Column( "ID",
	formula(
		If( Row() == 1,
			Summarize( drugs = by( :Make ) )
		);
		Contains( drugs, :Make );
	)
);
Jim

View solution in original post

There is an add-in in the Add-in Depot that basically does this. It's called "compress to labeled code." You want the revised version. Run the add-in on the column with the text. This will create a new column called "<column name> coded". Go into the column properties and turn off the value labels and click apply. You should be left with what you are after.

Best,

M

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Here is a script that runs against a sample data table that creates an ID column with a formula as you want

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\cars.jmp" );
dt << New Column( "ID",
	formula(
		If( Row() == 1,
			Summarize( drugs = by( :Make ) )
		);
		Contains( drugs, :Make );
	)
);
Jim

Thank you so much Sir for your amazing professional help. Problem solved. Any recommendation in improving my skills in writing such advance JSL formula?

Best,
Qais
txnelson
Super User

My suggestion is to read the documentation provided by JMP.  Of the several books downloaded when you install JMP:

Help==>Books

I suggest that you read,

Using JMP

Basic Analysis

Essential Graphing

Scripting Guide

This is a lot of reading, however, JMP is a powerful product with a lot of capabilities

Jim

There is an add-in in the Add-in Depot that basically does this. It's called "compress to labeled code." You want the revised version. Run the add-in on the column with the text. This will create a new column called "<column name> coded". Go into the column properties and turn off the value labels and click apply. You should be left with what you are after.

Best,

M

Thank you so much. Well done