Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Application Builder Roles

fanienel

Community Trekker

Mar 6, 2012

Hi

I am using application builder to build a report which includes 3 histograms, a local data filter and a Multivariate report. I generalize the variables for the histograms using and the Multivariate report the 'Roles'. When I run the application I have to select the variables for the roles twice, once for the histograms and once for the multivariate report. I would like to use the same variables in both the histogram and report. Is there a way to pass the variables chosen for the histogram to the MV report role?

Thanks Fanie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Hi Fanie,

The issue here is that the two platforms have different expressions in JSL.  Distribution has each column listed independently:

Distribution(
     Continuous Distribution( Column( :Year ) ),
     Continuous Distribution( Column( :Pop ) ),
     Continuous Distribution( Column( :Name( "Pop Age 0-19" ) ) )
);

while Multivariate includes all Y's in one expression:

Multivariate(
     Y( :Year, :Pop, :Name( "Pop Age 0-19" ) ),
     …
);

The auto-launch capability of App Builder only handles 1:1 matches when sharing roles across platforms.  To handle cases like this, you can still parameterize the App Builder roles, but you would have to assign the variables yourself.

First, you would toggle off the "Auto Launch" property for the Application object.  Then you can create your own dialog that prompts for the columns to use.  A good example of this would be the "Launcher With Report" example application that is included with JMP.  If you parameterized the Distribution using var1, var2, and var3 and prompt for these in the dialog, you might compose var4 with:

var4 = {};
ConcatTo(var4, var1,var2,var3);

Hope that helps!

-Dan

1 REPLY
Solution

Hi Fanie,

The issue here is that the two platforms have different expressions in JSL.  Distribution has each column listed independently:

Distribution(
     Continuous Distribution( Column( :Year ) ),
     Continuous Distribution( Column( :Pop ) ),
     Continuous Distribution( Column( :Name( "Pop Age 0-19" ) ) )
);

while Multivariate includes all Y's in one expression:

Multivariate(
     Y( :Year, :Pop, :Name( "Pop Age 0-19" ) ),
     …
);

The auto-launch capability of App Builder only handles 1:1 matches when sharing roles across platforms.  To handle cases like this, you can still parameterize the App Builder roles, but you would have to assign the variables yourself.

First, you would toggle off the "Auto Launch" property for the Application object.  Then you can create your own dialog that prompts for the columns to use.  A good example of this would be the "Launcher With Report" example application that is included with JMP.  If you parameterized the Distribution using var1, var2, and var3 and prompt for these in the dialog, you might compose var4 with:

var4 = {};
ConcatTo(var4, var1,var2,var3);

Hope that helps!

-Dan