cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MarkJSchwab
Level II

Any way to change date default format in Graph Builder (e.g. to m/d/y instead of y/m/d h:m:s)?

It seems like date in Graph Builder always defaults to y/m/d h:m:s. Since I'm often looking at data that spans months or years, the X scale labels always are long strings that end in "12:00:00 AM" which creates a busy-looking axis that takes up a lot of real estate due to long diagonal strings:

MarkJSchwab_0-1620660226835.png

X axis looks better after changing date format:

MarkJSchwab_1-1620660280182.png

Is there a way to specify my preferred default date format? That would save me a ton of clicks because I have to reformat the dates constantly.

(What would actually be even better would be if JMP would automatically use an appropriate date scale, so if the data spans years it would use m/y, if it spans a couple months it would use m/d/y, if it spans a couple days it would use m/d/y h:m, etc. But I think that functionality probably is not there?)

Using JMP Pro 14.3.0.

1 REPLY 1
txnelson
Super User

Re: Any way to change date default format in Graph Builder (e.g. to m/d/y instead of y/m/d h:m:s)?

You can control to default axis format in JMP 14.3 by changing the format set for your date column.  If you set it to a Time format, such as m/d/y h:m:s  it will use that as the default

tim1.PNG

If you change it to a different time format, it will use that as the axis values

tim2.PNG

If you change it to a Date only format, it will use that format

Tim3.PNG

Finally, the handling of the date values in JMP 16 has been improved, so an alternative solution would be to upgrade to JMP 16

Jim