Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Annotations Lost or Moved on HTML Reports

tundratoze

Community Trekker

Sep 24, 2014

Is there something special that needs to be done to annotations on charts (i.e. arrows, text boxes) to have them appear in the same location in an HTML report ?

Currently, when I annotate things on a chart and then create an HTML report with the chart, the text, arrows, etc move so that I either can't see them at all on the HTML report or they're in the wrong location.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Thank you for your question.

The Interactive HTML capability in JMP 11,  has a simple implementation of text annotations. They are limited to a single line of text at a fixed font size, and only appear within the chart area.

Arrows, lines, and other drawing tools are not implemented in Interactive HTML, so they will be lost.

JMP 12 will improve the support of text annotations in Interactive HTML, but for JMP 11, it might still be possible to work with the limited implementation to achieve some useful level of annotations.

If you require more precise replication of annotations and arrows in your HTML chart and are willing to forego some interactivity, there are a couple of alternatives:

1. Use the non-interactive HTML export.

2. Add a custom script element to the chart that is unsupported by Interactive HTML, and the Interactive HTML export will take a snapshot of the chart on the desktop and embed it in the interactive HTML web page. To do this:

1. Right click in the chart area and pick "Customize.." from the popup menu.
  2. Press the "+" button (  to add a new script ). 
  3. At this point you can choose a 'Template' or 'Sample', like "Y function" or "Drag Line" that aren't supported by Interactive HTML. Pick something you wouldn't mind seeing in your output. If you are comfortable with JSL drawing commands, you may be able to draw annotations and arrows here that are supported by Interactive HTML. If so, the interactivity will not be lost.

If you are willing to share some more details about your specific uses of text annotations or arrows, here or in a technical support request, we'd be happy to help you find better solutions. Or, as often happens here in the JMP community, someone may have already discovered these limitations and found a better work around.

Thanks,

~John

3 REPLIES
Solution

Thank you for your question.

The Interactive HTML capability in JMP 11,  has a simple implementation of text annotations. They are limited to a single line of text at a fixed font size, and only appear within the chart area.

Arrows, lines, and other drawing tools are not implemented in Interactive HTML, so they will be lost.

JMP 12 will improve the support of text annotations in Interactive HTML, but for JMP 11, it might still be possible to work with the limited implementation to achieve some useful level of annotations.

If you require more precise replication of annotations and arrows in your HTML chart and are willing to forego some interactivity, there are a couple of alternatives:

1. Use the non-interactive HTML export.

2. Add a custom script element to the chart that is unsupported by Interactive HTML, and the Interactive HTML export will take a snapshot of the chart on the desktop and embed it in the interactive HTML web page. To do this:

1. Right click in the chart area and pick "Customize.." from the popup menu.
  2. Press the "+" button (  to add a new script ). 
  3. At this point you can choose a 'Template' or 'Sample', like "Y function" or "Drag Line" that aren't supported by Interactive HTML. Pick something you wouldn't mind seeing in your output. If you are comfortable with JSL drawing commands, you may be able to draw annotations and arrows here that are supported by Interactive HTML. If so, the interactivity will not be lost.

If you are willing to share some more details about your specific uses of text annotations or arrows, here or in a technical support request, we'd be happy to help you find better solutions. Or, as often happens here in the JMP community, someone may have already discovered these limitations and found a better work around.

Thanks,

~John

tundratoze

Community Trekker

Sep 24, 2014

Thanks for the insight John. Despite being a very green user of JMP, I was able to use the reference materials available to add some arrows and text to charts using JSL drawing commands. Upon exporting to the interactive HTML report, the annotations were in the same location as I had put them in JMP. I appreciate the work around and am looking forward to what JMP 12 has to offer in this arena. Thanks again.

- Nicole

John_Powell_JMP

May 30, 2014

That's excellent Nicole!

Thanks for the update.

~John