cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jswislar
Level III

Adjusting for clustered data in regression

I am looking to predict the proportion of patients in a hospital with a specific disease, adjusting for hospital characteristics. However, the data are clustered (hospitals clustered within states) and I want to adjust for this, too. I am using JMP Pro 13.

Is the proper approach to use a Generalized Linear Model and select state with the "Nest" button? This seems correct, but when I do that JMP includes each state (n=51) as a variable. This is effectively what I want, but adds a lot of DF and variables to a data set with relatively few observations.

Am I doing this right, or is there a better way?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Adjusting for clustered data in regression

Normally, I would want to make state and hospital[state] random effects. That would dramatically reduce the impact of the total number of parameters to estimate. However, random effects are not supported for GLMs in JMP.
You could do a cluster analysis and use the clusters in place of states.
If you have access to SAS, you could use Proc GLIMMIX to do the mixed model GLM.
-- Cameron Willden

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Normally, I would want to make state and hospital[state] random effects. That would dramatically reduce the impact of the total number of parameters to estimate. However, random effects are not supported for GLMs in JMP.
You could do a cluster analysis and use the clusters in place of states.
If you have access to SAS, you could use Proc GLIMMIX to do the mixed model GLM.
-- Cameron Willden
jswislar
Level III

Thank you for the quick response. Would the new cluster variable be entered as a "Nest" variable in GLM? I already know there are 4 clusters I can group the states into.
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

You certainly can do that.
-- Cameron Willden