cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
szfunh
Level I

Adding date and time columns

I have a data set with a date column and a time column. In order to create a long date column, I tried using a simple formula to add those two columns, but for some rows the resulting date is in 2011 instead of 2015. This only happened for about 700 of the rows, with the other 16000 returning the correct year. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Adding date and time columns

I downloaded your attached data table, and changed the format on both your date and time columns to ddMonyyyy:h:m.  What it reveled is that many of your time values have a date based upon 31Dec1899, and not 01Jan1904.  I believe this is the issue.....

Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DaveLee
Level IV

Can you supply a small sample of instances that worked as well as some that didn't?

szfunh
Level I

Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to these forums. How do I share a file with you?

txnelson
Super User

Click on "Reply"

In the Upper right hand corner there is a selection that says "Used Advanced Editor", click on it

It will bring up an editing window that has an Attach button

Jim
szfunh
Level I

In this example, the long date on 9/28 is in 2011, while the long date on 9/29 is in 2015.

txnelson
Super User

I downloaded your attached data table, and changed the format on both your date and time columns to ddMonyyyy:h:m.  What it reveled is that many of your time values have a date based upon 31Dec1899, and not 01Jan1904.  I believe this is the issue.....

Jim
szfunh
Level I

That's it! Thank you. I didn't realize that the times had an associated date.