cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Adding conditional constraint while creating the design

Hi,

I am creating a design and I want to add one constraint. I have 7 continuous variables and of which 2 variables are related by the below constraints I wish to define. 

If(X3=1) then (X5 is not equal to -1)

If(X3=-1) then (X5 is not equal to 1)

Basically I don’t want these two factors to be at opposite extremes at the same time. 

If(X7=1)then (x4 is not equal to 1)  = Here I don’t want both the factors to have high value simultaneously.  

Can you please help me to define these constraints.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Adding conditional constraint while creating the design

Vinay: The most efficient way to accomplish your request is to use the JMP Custom Design path and then within the design set up phase of the work flow you'll be offered the opportunity to "Define Factor Constraints". See below (from JMP version 12...earlier versions will look a bit different):

9656_pastedImage_0.png

If you are using JMP version 12 (as shown above) you'll have three paths by which you can define the constraints you desire. My personal preference is to select the "Use Disallowed Combinations Filter" because this path uses JMP's long standing Data Filter construct to define the disallowed combinations. To me this path is more intuitive with the slider bars or ability to enter values in design units compared to the "Specify Linear Constraints" path...but your mileage may vary.

Here is the URL to the JMP version 12 online documentation that explains in detail the various paths to defining factor constraints:

Custom Design Window

Then once you have your design created, I suggest constructing some simple JMP Fit Y by X plots of the factors included in the various constraints to double check you've actually excluded certain regions of the design. Sometimes it's hard to verify these exclusions by starring at the design table alone.

Here is a link to a nice JMP On Demand Webinar that a colleague of mine, Don McCormack facilitates that describes additional details...especially if you want to use the "Specify Linear Constraints" path:

Advanced Design of Experiments | JMP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Vinay: The most efficient way to accomplish your request is to use the JMP Custom Design path and then within the design set up phase of the work flow you'll be offered the opportunity to "Define Factor Constraints". See below (from JMP version 12...earlier versions will look a bit different):

9656_pastedImage_0.png

If you are using JMP version 12 (as shown above) you'll have three paths by which you can define the constraints you desire. My personal preference is to select the "Use Disallowed Combinations Filter" because this path uses JMP's long standing Data Filter construct to define the disallowed combinations. To me this path is more intuitive with the slider bars or ability to enter values in design units compared to the "Specify Linear Constraints" path...but your mileage may vary.

Here is the URL to the JMP version 12 online documentation that explains in detail the various paths to defining factor constraints:

Custom Design Window

Then once you have your design created, I suggest constructing some simple JMP Fit Y by X plots of the factors included in the various constraints to double check you've actually excluded certain regions of the design. Sometimes it's hard to verify these exclusions by starring at the design table alone.

Here is a link to a nice JMP On Demand Webinar that a colleague of mine, Don McCormack facilitates that describes additional details...especially if you want to use the "Specify Linear Constraints" path:

Advanced Design of Experiments | JMP

Thank you Peter for your reply. This helped me.