Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Access violations & open windows

dsa01

Community Trekker

Feb 15, 2016

Hi JMP community,

I am facing a quite annoying issue which i cannot seem to solve.

I am working on a dashboard project which has some tabulates and two levey jennings control charts with phases.

I have introduced a new phase and would like the user to be able to re-draw my dashboard using the new phases on my control chart if needed. I do not have a sophisticated way of doing this but I am just closing down the first dashboard using:

rpt<<Close window()

and then i am doing a sort (since the new phases are mixed) :

RealizedDT << Sort(Replace table, By(:Phase, :Process Order),Order( Ascending, Ascending ));

and them i am launching a copy of the script but with the phases switched out in the tabulates and levey jennings charts.

This works fine when I am running my scripts manually, but when I put a button on the first dashboard to run through all the steps (close, re-sort and redraw) I get a JMP access violation error and everything crahses.

If I am removing the re-sorting step the access violation issue is gone (but i cannot draw my levey jennings because the phases are not sorted).

It looks like the resorting takes place before the first dashboard is closed (eventhough the close window() is the first line of code).  When I run my code without the resorting I see that my new dashboard is created and named Dashboard2 and then the first one seems to be closed. Is it because all graphics are only handled after all code is executed?

So, in conclusion I have two questions for you:

Could this be the reason for my access violation issues?

Can I somehow force JSL to close the first window before continuing with the rest of code?

Thanks in advance, your help is invaluable :)

Daniel

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales

Staff

Mar 21, 2013

Solution

You've found a bug in JMP, sorry its causing you trouble.  Please report it to tech support so they can either give you a work around, tell you what version of JMP it might already be fixed in, or take your script and pass it along for development to fix.

Meanwhile, you might try adding a JSL wait(0); after the close window; one of my goals has been to remove the need for wait(0) to work around problems like this, but there are still some issues left.  This might be one.

Craige
dsa01

Community Trekker

Feb 15, 2016

Solution

Just as an additional information if someone else is having this issue.

Tech support replied with the following information:

This can be avioded completely by using the control chart builder platform instead of the old Control Chart platform. The Control Chart Builder does not require that the phases are sorted either.

3 REPLIES
Craige_Hales

Staff

Mar 21, 2013

Solution

You've found a bug in JMP, sorry its causing you trouble.  Please report it to tech support so they can either give you a work around, tell you what version of JMP it might already be fixed in, or take your script and pass it along for development to fix.

Meanwhile, you might try adding a JSL wait(0); after the close window; one of my goals has been to remove the need for wait(0) to work around problems like this, but there are still some issues left.  This might be one.

Craige
dsa01

Community Trekker

Feb 15, 2016

Hi Craige,

thanks for your quick response.

It didn't seem to be better with the wait(0), but i might need to add them at more places in order to get it to work.

I will play around with it, but it is mess to troubleshoot since it crashes everytime.

I will report the issue and cross my fingers for it to be solved :)

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

dsa01

Community Trekker

Feb 15, 2016

Solution

Just as an additional information if someone else is having this issue.

Tech support replied with the following information:

This can be avioded completely by using the control chart builder platform instead of the old Control Chart platform. The Control Chart Builder does not require that the phases are sorted either.