Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

A few beginner questions

travismkent

Community Trekker

Apr 23, 2014

Hey all, so I'm a new graduate student and this semester one of my professors has decided to teach us regression in SAS. I've learned it well enough so far but was wondering if theres a way to just use JMP for most of what I'm doing currently in SAS. I really like the output and assumption checks SAS gives by default but I really like the GUI of JMP. Its would also nice to not have to use Parallels just to run SAS. Any ideas on what the best solution would be? Many thanks!

4 REPLIES
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Hi Travis,

There's not enough information here to really answer you.

Yes, JMP provides many of the same analysis techniques that SAS does but, as you've discovered, sometimes they have different options and methods.

Certainly, having both SAS and JMP in your skill set is the best of both worlds.

If you can provide some specific instances or questions, we can try to help explain more.

-Jeff

-Jeff
travismkent

Community Trekker

Apr 23, 2014

Well at the very least can I open up JMP on my Mac, type in some SAS syntax that will analyze data open in JMP, and have it output the same way it would as if I were on SAS on a PC? Something like this?

6128_1.png6129_2.png

reeza

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

I don't think so.

JMP uses a different language, JSL, so you'll need to learn that language instead.

I like VMWare Fusion instead of parallels, it works pretty seamlessly and is free or heavily discounted towards students.

I thought SAS 9.4 was supposed to be available on a Mac, but not sure that was ever enabled.  If you're at a University, check out the Analytics U section of this forum, you should be able to get a free copy of SAS to install.

SAS EG is also point and click and can use SAS code and may be a good alternative to JMP.

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Hi Travis,

No, JMP doesn't interpret SAS code.

If you have an appropriate SAS server available you can connect JMP to SAS use JMP to submit the SAS code to the server and get the results back.

Talk with your instructor to find out if his goal is to teach you SAS programming or statistics? If he's mostly interested in the statistics part, perhaps he'll let you use JMP.

-Jeff

-Jeff