cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Calculating Nonparametric Tolerance Intervals for Small Sample Sizes (2020-EU-30MP-343)

Level: Advanced

Oliver Thunich, Consultant, STATCON GmbH

In industry production, tolerance intervals are widely used to determine the quality of a process.The commonly used tolerance intervals, however, assume normal distribution of the data, which is problematic for many processes. Following a request of a client, we came up with a possibility to calculate nonparametric tolerance intervals by calculating confidence intervals for quantiles using the nonparametric empirical likelihood approach implemented in JMP. As the desired sample sizes become very small, the traditional nonparametric confidence intervals tend to return unstable results. Therefore, we developed a JSL script that extends the empirical likelihood method and is able to generate stable, nonparametric tolerance intervals for a large proportion of the population even with small samples. A simulation study evaluates the performance of the approach in comparison to existing methods using production data as well as survival analysis data. We found that the proposed method is much more stable than existing methods, especially when the data heavily differs from a normal distribution. Using JMP in combination with the implemented method, we are able to assure quality of processes where measuring quality is very costly and/or time consuming.

Comments
alson_look

Hi Oliver,

Your presentation mentions JMP JSL script.  Would it be possible for you to make it available?

Thanks,

Alson Look

gsaylor

I too would like the script. Thank you.

lisamaley

Were you able to get the JSL Script?  I would like to see it also.

alson_look

I do not have the script.

Sorry.  The author indicated he would provide the script at cost.

MSN

@olithun great if you could provide test script, thank you.

@olithun will it be possible to have the test script?