cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Advanced Workflow Builder: Using the Reference Manager To Create Custom Tools (2023-EU-30MP-1339)

Michael Hecht, Principal Systems Developer, SAS Institute Inc.

The new Workflow Builder introduced in JMP 17 is a great time saver for automating a fixed set of tasks. But wouldn’t it be great to create a workflow you could use on any data table? With Workflow Builder’s Reference Manager, you can! In this presentation, we will show how to record a workflow using a specific data table, then modify it so it can be used on any other table. Using this technique, you can build a custom tool with minimal JSL coding and share it with your colleagues.

Hello,  my  name  is  Michael  Hecht,  and  I  am  here  to  talk  today  about  the  workflow  builder,  which  is  a  new  feature  in  JMP  17 that  allows  you  to  record  operations  that  you  do  within  JMP  and  then  play  them  back  to  recreate  those  operations.

If  you  attended  the  plenary  session  this  morning,  then  you  saw  Mandy  Chamber's  demo  of  workflow  builder,  which  gave  a  good  overview.   Mandy  also  gave  a  talk  this  morning  that  goes  into  more  detail  on  the  workflow  builder  user  interface.

I'm  going  to  start  talking  about  a  more  advanced  feature  of  the  workflow  builder  called  the  reference  manager.  This  is  a  feature  that  allows  you  to  take  a  workflow  and  manage  how  references  to  data  tables  and  columns  within  those  tables  are  mapped  and  resolved.  It  allows  you  to  make  workflows  that  are  more  generic  to  be  used  with  any  data  table.

Let's  get  started.  I'm  going  to  start  by  creating  a  new  workflow  which  is  under  File,  New  and  there's  New  Workflow.  You  see  the  little  tag  that  says  this  is  a  new  item  for  version  17.  When  I  choose  this,  I  get  this  untitled  workflow  builder  window.  The  panel  in  the  center  lists  the  steps  of  my  workflow  and  as  you  can  see,  they're  empty.

I'm  just  going  to  click  the  record  button,  which  is  this  button  with  the  big  red  dot.  You  see  it  changes  appearance  to  show  that  recording  is  in  progress.  Then  I  will  do  some  operations  in  JMP and  have  them  be  recorded.

First,  I'll  go  I'm  going  to  go  to  the  File  menu  and  I'm  going  to  open  up  a  data  table.  We  see   Big Class  here  opened  and  if  we  look  in  the  workflow  builder,  we  see  that  a  step  was  added  to  do  that  same  operation.

Now  I'm  going  to  go  to  the  Analyze  menu  and  I'll  do  a  Fit  Y  by  X  to  do  a  one- way  analysis  using  age  as  my  X  factor.  For  the  response,  I'm  going  to  create  a  transform  column  by  right  clicking  and  choosing  formula.  I'm  going  to  use  weight  divided  by  the  height  squared,  which  is  the  formula  for  body  mass  index.

If  we  were  using  metric  units  of  kilograms  over  centimeter  squared,  then  that  would  be  sufficient.  But   Big Class  has  its  measurements  in  imperial  units  of  inches  and  pounds.  We  have  to  multiply  this  by  a  scaling  factor  to  get  a  standardized  BMI.

Now  I  have  my  formula  correctly,  I'm  going  to  rename  my  transform  column  'cause  I  don't  want  to  use  the  default  name,  I'm  going  to  call  it  BMI.  Click  okay.  Click  okay.  Now  BMI  is  in  my  list  of  columns  that  I  can  use  to  create  the  report.  I'm  going  to  add  that  as  my  response.  Click  okay.

Here's  my  one- way  analysis  of  variants.  You  notice,  though,  that  it  did  not  yet  add  this  step  to  the  workflow  builder,  but  there  is  a  little  note  at  the  top  saying,  hey,  I  see  you  launched  a  platform. A s  soon  as  you  finish  with  the  analysis  and  close  the  window,  I'll  add  it  to  the  workflow.

That's  so  the  workflow  builder  can  capture  any  changes  you  might  make  to  the  analysis.  For  example,  I'm  going  to  turn  on  means  ANOVA  here  to  get  the  means  diamonds.  Now  when  I  close  the  window,  you  see  the  step  gets  added,  report  snapshot,   Big Class,  Fit  Y  by  X  of  BMI  by  age.

Great.  I  am  done  recording.  I'm  going  to  click  the  button  again  to  stop  recording.  Then  I'm  going  to  turn,  switch  to  presentation  mode  for  this  workflow.  Like  the  tool  tip  says,  that  removes  some  of  the  editing  controls.  Namely  it  removes  the  record  button  so  that  I  don't  accidentally  hit  it  again,  and  it  takes  away  this  activity  log  at  the  bottom.

I'm  going  to  rewind  my  workflow  to  the  beginning,  which  closes  windows  that  were  associated  with  it.  Then  I'm  going  to  click  the  Run  button  to  replay  it  just  to  make  sure  it  does  what  I  wanted  to  do.  I  click  Run  and  it  opens   Big Class.  Then  here's  the  analysis  just  like  that  we  had  it  before.

That's  great.  I  want  to  look  at  these  different  steps  in  the  workflow.  You  can  see  that  behind  each  one  is  some  JSL  that  shows  up  in  the  tool  tips.  But  I  can  open  up  this  step  settings  panel  to  see  more  details.  I'll  click  on  the  first  step  and  we  see  that  there's  some  metadata  information  and  then  the  JSL  to  run  it,  which  is  just  an  open  command  and  there's  a  path  name  to  the  file.

When  I  click  on  the  second  one,  I  see  that  we  have  JSL  that  sends  a  one- way  message  to  this  reference  to  the  bigc lass. Jmp  data  table.  Inside  the  one- way,  we  see  references  to  weight  and  height  and  age.  There's  a  reference  to  BMI,  but  BMI  is  computed  as  a  transform  column  right  there.

That  all  looks  good.  But  when  I  run  this  workflow,  I  don't  always  want  to  run  it  on   Big Class.  I  might  want  to  run  it  on  a  different  data  table.  I'd  like  the  user  of  the  workflow  to  be  able  to  choose  that  data  table.  I  really  don't  need  this  open  data  table  step  at  all.  I'm  going  to  select  it  and  click  the  trash  can  icon  here  to  remove  it  from  the  workflow.

Well,  now  what's  going  to  happen  when  I  run  my  workflow?  Let's  give  it  a  try.  I'll  click  the  Run  button  and  it  immediately  prompts  me  to  choose  a  data  table.  The  data  table   Big Class,  it  can't  find  it  anywhere.  It's  not  in  the  list  of  tables  that  are  currently  open  in  JMP.  It's  asking  me,  do  I  want  to  go  find  it  and  open  it  or  maybe  open  a  different  table?

It  says  that  anywhere  that   Big Class  is  referenced,  it  will  use  the  table  that  I  opened.  It  has  a  list  here,  but  there's  only  one  item  in  it .  I'm  going  to  select  that  and  click  okay.  Now  it's  prompting  me  to  go  ahead  and  open  a  table.  Well,  I  have   Big Class  right  here,  so  I'm  going  to  drag  that  in  and  click  Open,  and  it  runs  just  like  before.

Well,  that's  great.  Let  me  rewind  and  run  it  again,  but  this  time  I  want  to  choose  a  data  table  that's  not   Big Class.  Let's  see  what  happens.  I'll  click  okay,  and  I  want  to  use  this  table  Football.  Football  is  data  about  a  college  football  team  playing  American  football  as  opposed  to  rest  of  the  world  football.

I'm  going  to  open  that  and  there  it  is.  But  you  see,  I'm  immediately  prompted,  hey,  this  data  table  does  not  have  a  column  named  age.  What  would  you  like  to  use  instead?  I'm  going  to  choose  position  and  I'll  click  okay,  and  I  get  my  one- way  analysis.

Notice  that  it  did  not  prompt  me  for  height  and  weight  because  those  columns  already  exist  in  the  data  table,  so  it  just  uses  them  directly.  T hese  positions  are  now  the  categories  that  it's  using  for  the  one- way  analysis,  and  they're  all  the  abbreviations  for  different  positions  in  American  football.

You  have  your  defensive  back,  defensive  lineman,  full  back,  half  back.  I  don't  know  what  IB  is,  but  kicker,  offensive  back,  offensive  lineman,  quarterback,  tight  end.   You  see  the  wide  receivers  have  a  nice  little  group  here  with  low  BMI  because  they  have  to  be  fast.

That's  all  cool.  But  I  noticed  in  this  football  data  table  right  below  position,  there's  a  second  variable  called  position  2. I f  we  look  at  what  that  is,  it's  a  different  categorization  of  the  data.  Position  divides  the  data  into  11  categories,  but  position  2  divides  it  into  7.

It  might  be  interesting  to  run  my  workflow  using  position  2  for  comparison.  I'm  going  to  rewind  this  and  I'm  going  to  run  it  again,  but  this  time  I'll  choose  position  2.  Well, wait  a  minute,  it  didn't  even  give  me  a  chance  to  choose  the  variable.  It  just  went  ahead  and  used  position.

In  fact,  it  didn't  ask  me  what  data  table  to  use.  It  decided  Football  was  already  open,  so  it  could  just  use  that.  Somehow  the  workflow  is  remembering  my  choices  from  the  previous  run.  If  I  want  to  choose  a  different  variable,  I  have  to  somehow  prevent  that  from  happening.

Let's  take  a  look  at  this  workflow.  We  see  that  there's  an  option  on  the  red  triangle  menu  that  says  References  and  has  a  sub menu,  allow  replacement  of  references.  Well,  that's  already  checked  and  the  tool  tip  says  it  allows  prompting  for  tables  and  column  references  that  it  can't  find.

Well,  that's  exactly  what  happened  the  first  time  we  ran  it.  But  then  when  we  ran  it  again,  it  reused  the  replacements  that  already  had.  But  here's  the  second  option,  Clear  Replacements.  The  tool  tip  here  says  that  it  clears  the  previous  replacement  choices,  which  is  what  we  want.  Let's  do  that,  and  then  we'll  rewind  this  and  run  it  again.

Okay. Now  it's  prompting  me  for  a  data  table  again.  Because  Football  is  one  of  the  tables  already  opened,  it  appears  in  the  list  here.  I  can  just  pick  it,  click  okay,  and  now  it's  prompting  me  for  age  again.  This  is  great.  I  can  pick  position  2  and  click  okay.  You  can  see  the  seven  categories  that  are  defined  by  position  two  here.

Okay,  well,  let's  go  back  to  position  1  now.  Rewind  this  and  run  it  again.  Again,  it  didn't  give  me  a  chance  to  choose  position  2.  I  don't  really  want  to  have  to  clear  the  replace ments  every  time  that  I  run  this  workflow.  What  I  need  is  some  way  to  control  which  replace ments  are  remembered.  I  see  this  third  option  here  that  says  Manage.  P ool tip  says  it  manages  the  table  and  column  references  that  can  be  replaced  at  runtime.  Let's  see  what  we  can  do  here.

This  brings  up  a  window  called  the  Reference  Manager.  At  the  top  is  this  check  box,  allow  replacement  of  references,  which  is  pretty  much  the  same  as  that  first  sub menu  choice.  Just  like  that,  when  it's  checked.  Then  there's  a  button  reset  all  replacement  choices,  which  sounds  the  same  as  the  clear  replacement  menu  item.

Then  we  have  a  list  of  table  references.  There's  only  one  item  in  the  list.  That's  because  my  workflow  only  has  the  one  reference  to   Big Class.  If  this  were  a  more  complicated  workflow  that  accessed  multiple  tables,  then  all  the  table  references  it  used  would  appear  in  this  list.  You  select  one  of  them  and  then  you  have  details  that  you  can  change.

I  can  see  that  I  can  add  a  custom  prompt  rather  than  the  big  long  prompt.  I'm  going  to  use  something  a  little  simpler.  How  about  please  choose  a  data  table.  I  see  that  this  mode  is  set  to  prompt  if  necessary.  It's  necessary  when  it  can't  find   Big Class  or  it  can't  find  what  you  see   Big Class  is  mapped  to  here  Football.  But  what  I  want  is  for  it  to  prompt  every  time  I  run  the  workflow,  so  I  want  to  choose  each  run.

Then  down  here,  we  have  a  list  of  the  column  references  that  the  workflow  uses  from  this  data  table.  We  see  BMI,  which  is  the  transform  column.  That  should  never  be  prompted  before  because  we're  computing  it  within  our  workflow,  so  I  can  change  this  one  to  never.

You  see  age  is  remembering  its  mapping  to  position  and  it  prompts  if  necessary.  We  want  to  change  that  to  prompt  on  each  run.  I'm  going  to  also  give  a  custom  prompt  for  it  about  to  please  select  a  category  column.  I'm  going  to  copy  that  so  I  can  reuse  it.

Height  and  weight  are  both  referenced  here and  as  we  saw,  it  can  pick  those  up  automatically  if  they  exist  in  the  data  table.  That's  good.  I  think  if  necessary,  it's  doing  what  we  want.  Let's  leave  it  at  that,  but  I'll  give  it  a  better  prompt.  We'll  change  this  one.  The  same  thing  for  weight,  we'll  change  here.

I  think  we  have  all  of  our  settings  the  way  we  like  it,  but  we  still  want  to  clear  these  mappings  to  the  Football   data table.  I'm  going  to  click  button and  hopefully,  those  will  go  away. All right, t hat's  good.  I'll  click  okay.

Let's  rewind  this  and  try  it  again.  It's  letting  me  choose,  and  I  can  go  back  to  position.  You  saw  the  new  prompts  in  both  of  those  dialogs,  the  custom  prompts  that  I  chose.

That  all  works  well.  In  fact,  I  can  even...  Let's  see,  let's  go  open  our Big C lass  table.  If  I  run  the  workflow  now,  you'll  notice  that  even  though  the  workflow  was  originally  recorded  using   Big Class,  because  I  set  the  prompt  to  each  run,  it's  prompting  me  now  instead  of  just  using   Big Class  directly.  But  I'm  going  to  choose   Big Class.  Now,  even  though   Big Class  has  an  age  column,  it's  asking  me  to  select  a  category  so  I  can  choose  something  different  like  sex.  Then  you  get  one  way  of  BMI  by  sex.

This  is  all  doing  what  we  want.  I  am  going  to  save  this  workflow  from  the  File  menu,  Save,  I'll  give  it  a  name  of  BMI  and  it  automatically  gets  an  extension  of . jmpflow, J-M-P F-L-O-W.  We'll  save  it  to  the  desktop  and  there  it  is.  You  see  it  has  this  little  org  chart  looking  icon.  If  I  get  info  on  it  from  the  finder,  we  can  see  that  the  hidden  extension  .jmpflow  is  right  there.

This  is  great.  I  could  distribute  this  to  my  colleagues  and  they  would  open  it  on  their  installation  of  JMP.  Then  when  they  run  it,  it  will  prompt  them  for  a  data  table,  it'll  prompt  them  for  a  category  column,  and  it'll  produce  the  report.

That's  fine.  That's  a  great  way  to  do  it.  I  think  I'm  going  to  take  it  one  step  further,  though.  I  would  like  to  package  this  within  an  add- in.  An  add- in  lets  you  customize  items  on  the  JMP  toolbar  and  menu  bar.  For  example,  you  can  see  I  have  an  add- ins  menu  here  already  with  some  items  in  it,  but  I'm  going  to  create  a  new  add- in  to  put  my  own  command  there  for  BMI.

Let's  go  to  the  File  menu  and  we'll  create  a  new  add- in  and  this  add -in  builder  dialog  appears.  Let's  give  it  a  name.  We'll  call  it  BMI  Report.  Add-ins  need  a  unique  identifier,  which  is  just  a  string,  but  we  use  this  reverse  DN S system  that  you  take  your  company's  website,  like  ours  is  Jmp.com  and  reverse  it, s o  we'll  use  com.j mp.

I  am  the  only  hashed  at  JMP,  so  I'll  put  that  in  here,  and  I'm  going  to  give  it  something  unique  for  this  specific  ad- in  that  I'm  creating.  We'll  call  it  BMI-R eport.  I'm  going  to  select  all  that  and  copy  it.

This  is  version  1  of  my  add- in.  As  I  said,  the  workflows  are  a  new  feature  of  JMP  17,  so  I'd  like  to  set  the  minimum  JMP  version  to  17.  Unfortunately,  it  looks  like  we  forgot  to  add  that  as  a  possibility  to  this  menu.  I'll  just  do  the  best  I  can  and  choose  16,  and  hopefully,  we  will  get  that  corrected  for  JMP  17.1  coming  next  month.

I  want  to  add  a  menu  item  to  the  add- ins  menu.  I'll  click  add  command  and  we'll  name  it  BMI  Report.  I'll  even  give  it  a  tool tip,  create  a  one- way  analysis  of  body  mass  index  by  the  chosen  category.  That's  pretty  good.

Now  I  do  need  to  add  some  JSL  here,  but  it's  pretty  simple.  All  I  want  to  do  is  open  bmi.j mp flow.  However,  I'd  like  to  embed  my  BMI  workflow  within  the  add- in  that  I'm  creating,  which  means  I  need  to  tell  the  open  command  that  it  comes  from  this  add- in's  home  directory,  which  I  can  get  to  with  the  path  variable  dollar  add- in_ home.  I  have  to  give  it  the  add- in's  unique  ID  as  well  in  parentheses  and  put  a  slash  there  for  the  directory  separator.  That  looks  good.

Now  I  need  to  actually  add  my  workflow  as  a  file  embedded  in  my  add- in.  I'll  go  to  additional  files  and  add  it  there.  That  I  believe  is  everything.  Let's  close  this,  save  changes.  It  gives  me  a  default  name  of  BMI  Report.  We'll  save  it  on  my  desktop.  There  it  is.  It  should  have  this  workflow  embedded  in  it.

I'm  going  to  close  it  here  and  I'm  going  to  put  this  workflow  that  I  built  in  the  trash,  empty  the  trash.  When  we  save  an  add- in,  JMP  automatically  installs  it  as  well.  If  I  come  over  to  JMP  and  look  at  my  add- ins  menu,  now  we  have  BMI  Report.  When  I  choose  that,  it  should  open  the  workflow  that's  embedded  within  the  add- in.

There  it  is.  We  can  run  it.  We  get  our  custom  prompts  before,  we  can  choose  a  table,  we  can  choose  a  category.  I  am  going  to  redo  the  analysis  here  so  that  I  have  a  copy  of  this  that's  not  under  the  control  of  the  workflow  and  will  stay  around  even  when  I  rewind  the  workflow.  Let's  rewind  it.  I'll  run  it  again  and  let's  choose  position  two.

You  can  compare  the  two  reports  and  let's  see,  we  can  look  at  things  like,   this  O  category  under  position  two  that  corresponds  to  the  full  back,  the  half  back  and  the  quarterbacks, so  it's  the  offense.  L  is  the  defensive  line  and  the  offensive  line,  so  that's  the  linesman.

Anyway,  that  pretty  much  concludes  the  items  I  want  to  cover  in  this  talk.  I  direct  you  again  to  Mandy's  presentation  this  morning,  Navigating Your Data Workflow: Workflow Builder Grants Your Wishes for Data Cleanup,  for  a  great  overview  of  of  the  rest  of  the  workflow  builder  UI.  I  believe  at  this  time  we  are  going  to  take  live  Q&A.  Thank  you  very  much.