cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Automated and Interactive Analysis of JMP Crash Data

The JMP team, like many of our customers, is simultaneously engaged in building new product versions and analyzing problem reports from production releases. Customer bug and crash reports provide precious insights into our customers’ experience of JMP product quality. JMP began prompting customers to email Mac crash reports in JMP 12 and added built-in support for  emailing Windows crash reports in JMP 13. We store internally and externally reported crash data in a SQL server database. Technical support and development collaborate to identify, investigate, and fix unsolved customer crashes. The process starts when a new crash report is emailed to JMP technical support, processed and automatically compared with previous reports to identify it as novel or related to a known issue. Known details about the crash are sent back to the track. The JMP crash database updates hourly,  so I automate the refresh of my crash investigation environment  using a JSL script. My script runs queries generated by JMP’s database Query Builder, calls  various table manipulation tools like Split and Summarize, and embeds key scripts in tables . All imported and derived data tables open as tabs inside a JMP 14 Project. I use my crash data project to investigate newly reported crashes and identify unsolved crash groups for further investigation by JMP development.