Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Sharing Visualizations Using JMP Clinical and JMP Live (2020-US-30MP-602)

Level: Intermediate

John Cromer, Sr. Research Statistician Developer, JMP

While the value of a good visualization in summarizing research results is difficult to overstate, selection of the right medium for sharing with colleagues, industry peers and the greater community is equally important. In this presentation, we will walk through the spectrum of formats used for disseminating data, results and visualizations, and discuss the benefits and limitations of each. A brief overview of JMP Live features sets the stage for an exciting array of potential applications. We will demonstrate how to publish JMP graphics to JMP Live using the rich interactive interface and scripting methods, providing examples and guidance for choosing the best approach. The presentation culminates with a showcase of a custom JMP Live publishing interface for JMP Clinical results, including the considerations made in designing the dialog, the mechanics of the publishing framework, the structure of JMP Live reports and their relationship to the JMP Clinical client reports and a discussion of potential consumption patterns for published reviews.

Auto-generated transcript...

Speaker

Transcript

John Cromer Hello everyone, Today I'd like to talk about two powerful products that extend JMP in exciting ways. One of them, JMP Clinical, offers rich visualization,
analytical and data management capabilities for ensuring clinical trial safety and efficacy. The other, JMP Live, extends these visualizations to a secure and convenient platform that allows for a wider group of users to interact with them from a web browser.
As data analysis and visualization becomes increasingly collaborative, it is important that both creating and sharing is easy. By the end of this talk, you'll see just how easy it is.
First, I'd like to introduce the term collaborative visualization. Isenberg, et al., defines it as the shared use of computer supported interactive visual representations of data on more than one person with a common goal of contribution to join information processing activities.
As I'll later demonstrate, this definition captures the essence of what JMP, JMP Clinical and JMP Live can provide.
When thinking about the various situations in which collaborative visualization occurs, it is useful to consult the Space Time Matrix.
In the upper left of this matrix, we have the traditional model of classroom learning and office meetings, with all participants at the same place at the same time.
Next in the upper right, we have participants at different places interacting with the visualization at the same time.
In the lower left, we have participants interacting at different times at the same location, such as in the case of shift workers.
And finally, in the lower right, we have flexibility in both space and time with participants potentially located anywhere around the globe and interacting with the visualization at any time of day.
So JMP Live can facilitate this scenario.
A second way to slice through the modes of collaborative visualization is by thinking about the necessary level of engagement for participants.
When simply browsing a few high-level graphs or tables, sometimes simple viewing can be sufficient.
But with more complex graphics and for those in which the data connections have been preserved between the graphs and underlying data tables,
users can greatly benefit by also having the ability to interact with and explore the data. This may include choosing a different column of interest, selecting different levels in a data filter and exposing detailed data point hover text.
Finally, authors who create visualizations often have a need to share them with others and by necessity will also have the ability to view, interact with and explore the data.
and JMP and JMP Clinical for authors who require all abilities.
A third way to think about formats and solutions is by the
interactivity spectrum.
Static reports, such as PDFs, are perhaps the simplest and most portable, but generally, the least interactive
Interactive HTML, also known as HTML5, offers responsive graphics and hover text.
JMP Live is built on an HTML5 foundation, but also offer server-side computations for regenerating the analysis.
While the features of JMP Live will continue to grow over time, JMP offers even more interactivity.
And finally,
There are industry-specific solutions such as JMP Clinical which are built on a front framework of JMP and SAS
that offer all of JMP's interactivity, but with some additional specialization. So when we lay these out on the interactivity spectrum,
we can see that JMP Live fills the sweet spot of being portable enough for those with only a web browser to access, while offering many of the prime interactive features that JMP provides
So the product that I'll use to demonstrate creating a visualization is JMP Clinical. JMP Clinical, as I mentioned before,
offers a way to conveniently assess clinical trial safety and efficacy.
With several role-based workflows for medical monitors, writers, clinical operations and data managers,
and three review templates, predefined or custom workflows can be conveniently reused on multiple studies,
producing results that allow for easy exploration of trends and outliers.
Several formats are available for sharing these results, from static reports and in-product review viewer and new to JMP Clinical ??? and JMP Live reports.
The product I'll use to demonstrate interacting with on a shared platform is JMP Live.
JMP Live allows users with only a web browser to securely and conveniently interact with the visualizations, and they could specify access restrictions for who can view both the graphics and the underlying data tables with the ability to publish a local data filter and column switcher.
The view can be refreshed in just a matter of seconds. Users can additionally organize their web reports through titles, descriptions and thumbnails and leave comments that facilitate discussion between all interested parties.
So explore the data on your desktop with JMP or JMP Clinical, published a JMP Live with just a few quick steps, share the results with colleagues across your organization, and enrich the shared experience through communication and automation.
So now I would like to demonstrate how to publish a simple graphic from JMP to JMP Live.
I'm going to open
the demographics data set from the sample study Nicardipine, which is included with JMP Clinical. I can do this either through the file open menu where I can navigate to my data set
dt= open then the path to my data table. So I'm going to click run scripts to open that data table.
Okay. So now I'd like to create a simple visualization. I'm going to, let's say, I'd like to create a simple box plot.
Or click graph, Graph Builder.
And here I have a dialogue from moving variables into roles. I'm going to move the study site identifier into the X role.
Age into Y.
And click box plot.
And click Done. So here's one quick and easy way to create a visualization in JMP.
Alternatively, I can do the same thing with the script. And so this block of code I have here,
this encapsulates a data filter and a Graph Builder box plot into a data filter context box. So I'm going to run this block of code.
And here you see, I have some filters and a box plot. Now, notice how
interactive this filter is and the corresponding graph. I can select a different
lower bound for age; I can type in a precise value, let's say, I'd like to exclude those under 30 and suppose I am interested in only the first 10 study side identifiers.
OK. So now I'd like to share this
visualization with some of my colleagues who don't have JMP but they have JMP Live. So one way to publish this to JMP Live is interactively through the file published menu.
And here I have options
for
for my web report.
Can see I have options for specifying a title, description. I can add images. I can choose who to share this report with. So at this point, I could publish this, but I'd like to show you how to do so using the script.
So I have this chunk of code where I create a new web report object. I add my JMP report to the web report object.
I issue the public message to the web report, and then I automatically open the URL. So let me go ahead and run that.
You can see that I'm automatically taken to JMP Live with a very similar structure as my client report. My filter selections have been preserved.
I can make filter selection changes. For example, I can move the lower bound for age down and notice also I have detailed data point hover text.
I have filter-specific options.
And I also have platform-specific options. So any time you see these menus. You can further explore those to see what options are available.
Alright, so now that you've seen how to publish a simple graphic from JMP to JMP Live. How about a complex one, as in the case of a JMP Clinical report.
So what I'm going to do is open
a new review.
I will add the adverse events distribution report to this review.
I will run it with all default settings.
And now I have my adverse events distribution report, which consists of column switchers for demographic grouping and stalking, report filters, an adverse events counts graph, tabulate object for counts and some distributions.
Suppose I'm interested in stacking my adverse events by severity. I've selected that and now I have my stoplight colors that I've set for my
adverse events for mild, moderate and severe.
At this point I'm...I'd like to share these results with a colleague who maybe in this case has JMP, but there are certain times where they prefer to work through a web browser to
to inspect and
take a look at the visualizations. So this point, I will click this report level create live report button.
I will...
...and that...and now I have my dialogue, I can choose to publish to either file or JMP Live.
I can choose whether to publish the data tables or not, but I would always recommend to publish them for maximum interactivity.
I can
also specify whether to allow my colleagues to download the data tables from JMP Live. In addition to the URL,
you can specify whether to share the results only with yourself, everyone at your organization or with specific groups. So for demonstration purposes, I will only publish for myself.
I'll click OK.
Got a notification to say that my web report has been published.
Over on JMP Live, I have a very similar structure.
At my report filters, my column switchers with my column, a column of interest preserved.
You can see my axes and legends and
colors have also carried over.
Within this web report, I can easily
collapse or expand particular report sections, and many of the sections off also offer detailed data point hover text and responsive updates for data filter changes. Another thing I'd like to point out is
this Details button in the upper right of the live report, where I can get detailed creation information, a list of the data tables that republished, as well as the script.
And because I've given users the ability to download these tables and scripts, these are download buttons for those for that purpose. I can also leave comments from my colleagues that they can then read and take further action on, for example, to follow up on an analysis.
All right, so from my final demo, I would simply like to extend my single clinical report to a review
consisting of two other
reports enrollment patterns,
and findings bubble plot.
So I'm going to run these reports. Enrollment patterns plots patient enrollment over the course of a study by things like start date of disposition event,
study day and study site identifier.
Findings bubble plot, I will run on the laboratory test results domain.
And this report features a prominent animated bubble plot,
in which you can launch this animation. You can see how specific test results change over the course of a study.
You can pause the animation. You can scroll to specific,
precise values for study day and you can also hover over data points to reveal the detailed information
for each of those points.
create live report for review.
I have a...have the same dialogue that you've seen earlier, same options, and I'm just going to go ahead and publish this now so you can see what it looks like when I have three clinical reports bundled together and
in one publication.
So when this operation completes,
you will see that will be taken to an index page
corresponding to report sections.
And each thumbnail on this page corresponds to report section in which we have our binoculars icon on the lower left, that indicates how many views each page had.
I have a three dot menu,
where you can get back to that details view. If you click Edit, from here you can also see creation information and a list of data tables and scripts.
And by clicking any of these thumbnails, I can get down to the
report, the specific web report of interest. So just because this is one of my favorite interactive features, I've chosen to show you the findings bubble plot
on JMP Live. Notice that it has carried over our study day, where we left off on the client, on study day 7. I can continue this animation.
You can see study day counting up and you can see how our test results change over time. I can pause this again. I can get to a specific study day. I can do things like change bubble size to suit your preference.
Again, I have data point hover text, I can select multiple data points and I have numerous platform specific options that will vary, but I encourage you to take a look at these anytime you see this three dot menu.
So to wrap up,
let me just jump to my second-last slide.
So how was all this possible?
Well, behind the scenes, the code to publish a complex clinical report is simply a JSL script that systematically analyzes a list of graphical report object references and pairs them with the appropriate data filters, column switchers,
and report sections into a web report object.
The JSL publish command takes care of a lot of the work for you, for bundling the appropriate data tables into the web report and ensuring that the desired visibility is met.
Power users who have both products can use the download features on JMP Live to conveniently share to conveniently adjust the changes
...to to...
make changes on their clients
and to update their...
the report that was initially published, even if they were not the original authors. And then the cycle can continue, of collaboration
between those on the client and those on JMP Live.
So, as you can see, both creating and sharing is easy.
With JMP and JMP Clinical, collaborative visualization is truly possible.
I hope you've enjoyed this presentation, and I look forward to any questions that you may have.