Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sczupryna0
Level II

At the corner of Lean Street and Statistics Road (2020-US-45MP-578)

Level: Intermediate

Stephen Czupryna, Process Engineering Consultant & Instructor, Objective Experiments

Manufacturing companies invest huge sums of money in lean principles education for their shop floor staff, yielding measurable process improvements and better employee morale. However, many companies indicate a need for a higher return on investment on their lean investments and a greater impact on profits. This paper will help lean-thinking organizations move to the next logical step by combining lean principles with statistical thinking. However, effectively teaching statistical thinking to shop floor personnel requires a unique approach (like not using the word “statistics”) and an overwhelming emphasis on data visualization and hands-on work. To that end, here’s the presentation outline:

A)    The Prime Directive (of shop floor process improvement)

B)    The Taguchi Loss Function , unchained

C)    The Statistical Babelfish

D)    Refining Lean metrics like cycle time, inventory turns, OEE and perishable tool lifetime

E)    Why JMP’s emphasis on workflow, rather than rote statistical tools, is the right choice for the shop floor

F)    A series of case studies in a what-we-did versus what-we-should-have-done format.

Attendee benefits include guidance on getting-it-right with shop floor operators, turbo-charged process improvement efforts, a higher return on their Lean training and statware investments and higher bottom line profits.

Auto-generated transcript...

Speaker

Transcript

Stephen Czupryna Okay. Welcome, everyone. Welcome to at the corner of Lean Street and Statistics Road.
Thank you for attending. My name is Stephen Czupryna.
I work as a contractor for a small consulting company in Bellingham, Washington. Our name is Objective Experiments. We teach design of experiments, we teach reliability analysis and statistical process control, and I have a fairly long history of work in manufacturing.
So here's the presentation framework for the next 35 odd minutes. I'm going to first talk about the Lean foundation of the presentation, about how Lean is an important part of continuous improvement.
And then in the second section, we'll take Lean to what I like to call the next logical step,
which is to teach and help operators and in particularly teach them and helping them using graphics and, in particular, JMP graphics. And we'll talk about refining some of the common Lean metrics and we'll end with a few case studies.
But first, a little bit of background, what I'm about to say in the next 35 odd minutes is based on my experience. It's my opinion.
And it will work, I believe, often, but not always. There are some companies that that may not agree with my philosophy, particularly companies that are, you know,
really focused on pushing stuff out the door and the like, probably wouldn't work in that environment, but in the right environment, I think a lot of what I what I say will work fine.
All the data you're about to see is simulated and I will post or have posted detailed paper at JMP.com. You can collect it there, or you're welcome to email me at Steve@objexp.com and I'll email you a copy of it or you can contact me with some questions.
Again, my view. My view, real simple, boil it all down production workers, maintenance workers are the key to continuous improvement.
Spent my career listening carefully to production operators, maintenance people learning from them, and most of all, helping them.
So my view is a little bit odd. I believe that an engineer, process engineer, quality engineer really needs to earn the right to enter the production area, need to earn the support of the people that are working there, day in, day out, eight hours a day. Again, my opinion.
So who's the presentation for? Yeah, the shortlist is people in production management, supervisors, manufacturing managers and the like,
process engineers, quality engineers, manufacturing engineers, folks that are supposed to be out on the shop floor working on things.
And this presentation is particularly for people who, who, like who like the the view in the in the photograph that the customer,
the internal customer, if you will, is, is the production operator and that the engineer or the supervisor is really a supplier to that person.
And to quote, Dr. Deming, "Bad system beats a good person, every time." And the fact is the production operators aren't responsible for the for the system. They work within the system.
So the goals of the presentation is to help you work with your production people,
\

Comments
tajrida

Very Nice Stephen! especially, the lesson learned over years of practice implementing continuous improvement 

sczupryna0

Thanks for the insight.  Let me know if you have any questions or other comments.

Steve