cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
residentx10
Level II

Are JMP certifications gone?

I was looking at the certifications for JMP and they have been removed from the website. Is this a typo?

12 REPLIES 12
fja
fja
Level III

Re: Are JMP certifications gone?

@residentx10 wrote:

I was looking at the certifications for JMP and they have been removed from the website. Is this a typo?

Hello!

Yes, they seem to be erased completely. (I am not sure what you mean by typo)

At least for the JMP Associate I know, that it was terminated as of December 31, 22 and is said to be revised. (Information from the SAS forum) 

With respect to its future there was no definite answer.

Does anyone here know any details?

Cheers 

FJa

Hi @residentx10 ,

Yes, it is not a typo. Effective Dec 31, 2022, JMP is no longer offering certification exams (STIPS, DOE or JSL). 

JMP Education will be looking into alternatives over the next year. In the future, JMP certifications will likely look more like informal badging rather than paid proctored exams. For now, an abbreviated STIPS (Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving) certification exam is available through STIPS on Coursera, and students looking for DOE or other topical certifications can use the STIPS end-of-module badging.

residentx10
Level II

You should creating more certifications. Can I still test on the old jmp versions 15 or lower? I need jmp certs. This is just horrible...

Hi @residentx10,

Unfortunately, the certifications are retired, and it will not be possible to turn things back on. The JMP Education team will be researching how to best support certificates/certifications in the future.

Is there a particular topic of interest? We do offer a STIPS certificate through the Coursera course, as indicated above. And, in the STIPS course, which covers several topics, there are end-of-module quizzes that allow you to earn badges. These badges can be posted on social media or shared with your organization.

residentx10
Level II

This is just awful for so many reasons:

1.JMP certs are are poorly designed. STIPS exam should be broken down in each of the categories. I bought the Jmp e-learning, and numerous books but the test covers too much. I think the test was 2.5-3 hours. Also, the test itself had white pages after each question so wasted time navigating blank pages.
2. Coursera is for millennials not the professionals. I will never put a Coursera course on my resume because a cert from them is meaningless to employers. Has sas or Jmp hired anyone based solely on Coursera certs?
Finally, I have the badges for STIPS, doe, and jsl but I don’t feel they prepare you for Jmp work. They are just the beginning of the Jmp journey.

I have another reason to not deal with sas/Jmp now…

These decisions will only make jmp’s problems worse. I will only invest in sas products with certification because I need to differentiate myself. I will invest nothing at all in Jmp now. I will stop buying books because if Jmp is not investing to create more value…why should I?

fja
fja
Level III

Hello residentix10!

Though I share your frustration about the decision to terminate the JMP certifications I have to disagree in most of your points.

STIPS is, IMHO, designed as an introductory course refreshing the basic ideas of descriptive and inferential statistics and tries to cover a great part of nowadays topics on a basic level. Which is what I like most with the course, actually ... its introductory nature. I would recommend any new employee to take the STIPS course ... (and formerly along with the exam).

The exam covers all those topics, in my eyes, at an appropriate level/niveau. And given the practical part that was in it I think the 2,5 h are appropriate as well. Admittedly I always have problems with the test interface as well but I would not think that they are that severe and I also do have them with SAS exams.  

The STIPS course was aiming at the JMP Associate level (I would translate that to "motivated beginner") so I think both, course and exam are pretty well aligned to the overall goal: Providing a jump start. (Pun intended.)

I do agree in that I do not regard coursera as an alternative. Nevertheless, I do not believe turning away from JMP altogether to be an alternative either. You will find the start in SAS to be much rougher than in JMP. 

Just my 5ct.

Fja

fja
fja
Level III

Hello Mia!

Thank you very much for answering yourself (being the principal product manager) and shedding some light on this issue.

This is sad news for most of us because badges do not have the same reputation as certificates based on proctored exams in the market. ... and what counts even more, the reputation of a software package is linked to exams accompanying it. They are lighthouses on the learner's path ...

So I doubt that neither users nor the market will perceive a badge system as an alternative.

--fja

Hi @fja,

I totally understand. When we set out to develop the certifications, there was a lot of excitement and interest, and we were convinced that there would be a strong demand for JMP-based certifications. The reality was that only an extremely small percentage of JMP users actually took the certification exams in the 5 years since they've been available (mostly through JMP-hosted events), and maintenance and proctoring of the exams was a challenge. The decision to discontinue the exams came with the release of JMP 17 and the corresponding update of STIPS.

We have found that the badging provided with STIPS is very popular, and many organizations and universities are using the badging in their learning management systems. However, we've noted concerns expressed here and will take this under consideration as we evaluate alternatives in the coming year.

Warm regards,

Mia

fja
fja
Level III

Hello!

Thank you again very much for your reply! I really appreciate your dedication!

@mia_stephens wrote:

The reality was that only an extremely small percentage of JMP users actually took the certification exams in the 5 years since they've been available (mostly through JMP-hosted events), and maintenance and proctoring of the exams was a challenge. 

I am convinced that there are severe reasons for taking that step. Users, of course, not these insights ... hence the excitement. Of the result gained must be worth the effort and cost for offering the exams. 

In deed I tried to check the number of certified JMP users beforehand in SASes global dictonary ... but failed. On the other hand my JMP certificate is not listed either. (... and I am pretty convinced that I have passed    ). For me it comes as a surprise that there are that few candidates willing to take the exam. I experienced my colleagues to be very eager to take them ... well, not a sample to base a statistic on, of course.

We have found that the badging provided with STIPS is very popular, and many organizations and universities are using the badging in their learning management systems.

As a motivation element badges cannot be beaten. That is definitely right. I can only speak for myself, but when hiring people never rely on any kind badge but on some hard earned certificate/exam that proves hard work on the subject.

Just let me underline that I perfectly understand the reasons you shared with us. Thank you for that. This makes it easier for me to get along with the changed situation ... and hopefully for others as well.

Very kind regards

FJa